SBE voted on the following business items:
- The Board approved of the waivers from credit-based graduation requirements for Moses Lake High School in Moses Lake School District and Two Rivers School in Snoqualmie Valley School District.
- The Board approved of the temporary waivers from WAC 180-51-068 for Bates Technical College District, Bellingham Technical College, Cascadia College, Clark College, Clover Park Technical College, Edmonds Community College, Mount Vernon School District, and Tacoma Community College.
- The Board approved private schools for the 2019-2020 school year.
Presentations and discussions:
NEXT BOARD MEETING
- Executive Director Update: The Board heard from staff regarding business items and other topical updates, including discussion of the September Annual meeting, initial discussion of proposed changes to the Bylaws, and anticipated timeline for rule amendments.
- Implementation of E2SHB 1599: Staff provided a briefing on the E2SHB 1599 work plan and the first meeting of the mastery-based learning work group. Board members had extensive discussion around the rulewriting process and draft language for graduation pathways, informed by extensive input from key partners and subject experts.
- Seattle Promise: Board members engaged with representatives from Seattle Public Schools, Seattle Department of Education and Early Learning, and Seattle Central College around the Seattle Promise scholarship program and the specific kinds of support students receive in high school and beyond.
- Charter Public Schools: Cindi Williams (Chair of the Washington State Charter School Commission) and SBE staff shared information about the state's charter school environment, including facts about authorized, opening, and closing charter schools around the state as well as SBE's and CSC's key statutory duties relating to charter public schools.
- South King County Road Map Project: Board members heard from Road Map Project staff regarding their newest report: Let Us Succeed: Student College and Career Aspirations (highlighting the perspectives of more than 7,000 local high schoolers through survey and listening session data).
- Student Voice-Chronic Absenteeism: Student Board Member Autymn Wilde engaged with the Board around attendance and chronic absenteeism.
- Committee Reports: Board members shared about various events and groups they have engaged with the past few months, including the NASBE New Member Institute, the Governor's STEM Education Innovation Alliance, and the OSPI Staffing Enrichment Workgroup. The Equity Committee shared their recommendations for continuing professional development for Board members.
- State Recognized Schools Phase II: The Board heard an update on the work of the school recognition workgroup, including feedback from this year's phase I work, as well as the plans to refine the recognition framework over the next few years.
- Waivers from Credit-Based Graduation Requirements: The Board heard from staff about the district applications from Moses Lake and Snoqualmie Valley for a waiver from credit-based graduation requirements.
- Career Connect Washington: Maud Daudon provided an update on the Career Connect Washington work and how the Board can engage with the work.
September 10-12 in Yakima at Oxford Suites
Next community forum: September 9 in Yakima
Sign up for
from the State Board of Education on the topics that interest you.