Serving Businesses in Cragin, Hermosa, Humboldt Park & N. Austin Communities
The NWCC CONNECTION - June 10th, 2020
Cook County Land Bank - Turning Abandoned & Vacant Properties Into Assets - Emergency Protection for Your Home & Business - Tax Credits & Changes - Lost or Misplaced Your Business License?
The Cook County Land Bank Authority: returning vacant land and abandoned buildings back into reliable and sustainable community assets .
The Cook County Land Bank Authority (CCLBA) was formed in 2013 to address the large inventory of vacant residential, industrial, and commercial property in Cook County. It's the largest land bank by geography in the country.

The Land Bank acquires, holds, and transfers interest in property throughout Cook County, promoting redevelopment and reuse of vacant, abandoned, foreclosed, or tax-delinquent properties. It supports targeted efforts to stabilize neighborhoods and stimulate residential, commercial, and industrial development

Learn more about CCLBA; Check out the Interactive Property Viewer
From Abandoned Properties to Dream Homes: Buying a House Through Cook County’s Land Bank
Protecting Your Business
& Home in Emergency Situations

Chicago's Department of Business Affairs & Consumer Protection (BACP) and Office of Emergency Management & Communication (OEMC) urge businesses to sign up to receive targeted alerts via CHIBIZ Emergency Alerts....

To sign up: Text CHIBIZ to 67283 or visit  
Once opting in, you'll be directed to a website to complete a simple registration allowing targeted alerts for severe weather, fire, medical,
or public safety disturbances that could impact your business. OEMC also recommends the resources below allowing businesses to interface
with the City's public safety departments.
Chicago Public & Private Partnership Portal (CP3)
CP3 is a one-stop site to submit business information - floor plans, hazardous materials kept on site, and other essential information - to Chicago's Fire, Public Health, and Police Departments with your contact information in the event of an emergency. Click to access

O EMC's Private Sector Camera Initiative - I f your business is interested in providing public way access of external-facing cameras to the City of Chicago, email

NotifyChicago is a City service that alerts residents and businesses, via mobile text messaging or e-mail, about conditions such as severe weather, hazardous materials, and traffic impacts. Click to access
Mid-Year Benefit Changes

New guidance from the Internal Revenue Service allows workers to make benefit changes midyear, pending employer agreement. The move - a mid-year open-enrollment period - applies to firms buying health insurance to cover workers and those that self-insure and pay claims on their own. Click to read article.
Tax Credits for Businesses Hit by COVID-19

The following tax credits are available to businesses
affected by the COVID pandemic.  

Employee Retention Credit - Click to learn more
Paid Sick Leave Credit and Family Leave Credit - Click to learn more
The IRS has several free enewsletters with tax tips, topics of use to businesses, and a wide range of resources. To subscribe, Click here
Tax-Free Financial Assistance for Employees

I n the wake of the COVID pandemic and shelter-in-place orders, there is a way for businesses to assist employees financially burdened by the crisis. One uncomplicated, tax-favorable action is to make disaster relief assistance payments under Section 139 of the Internal Revenue Code.  Learn more.
If you find yourself seeking employment, as everyday life starts to move forward in the coming months. Click to read...

10 Unique Questions To Ask An Interviewer
Claire Hegstrom - Alliant Credit Union Money Mentor, 4/21/2020
Follow NWCC on Facebook daily for breaking news, up-to-date info'
about programs and resources, events and webinars.
Click HERE to Check out our website
Requesting Copy of Lost,
Misplaced Business License
If you have misplaced or lost your City of Chicago Business License Certificate, you can apply for a Certification Letter, which is acceptable documentation for any City grant or loan application.

Business owners, their representatives, or the NW Connection Chamber of Commerce, on your behalf as a Neighborhood Business Development Center, can send a " Request for a City of Chicago Business License Certification Letter" containing the following details:
  • City of Chicago Business Account Number
  • Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
  • Business Address (EXACTLY as it appeared on the original certificate)
  • DBA Name
  • email it to:

Click to download/view a sample letter;
Click for a Business Direct Services flyer  
Street Sweeping Began in May, Use
City's Interactive Site to Avoid a Ticket

While the COVID pandemic delayed the start of street sweeping in April, the Department of Streets and Sanitation began dispatching sweepers in mid May to remove debris and litter from City streets.

To see when your area is scheduled, click here to type in your address.
If your know which ward you live in click here.

Get Your Free Copy of NWCC's
Business & Shopping Resource Guide

5,000 copies are distributed annually in the Cragin, Hermosa, Humboldt Park and N. Austin neighborhoods. Click HERE to view or download a copy. For a softcover print copy - Call Pete at 773/558-8743 or
The NW Connection Chamber of Commerce is funded, as a delegate agency of the City of Chicago Department of Business Affairs, to provide assistance to the Cragin, Hermosa, Humboldt Park, and North Austin Communities.
Call Pete Schmugge, NWCC Executive Director 773/558-8743 or email