Asylum seekers and refugees are once again coming to our borders fleeing dangerous situations and seeking a better and safer life for their family. This time there is one organization, the International Rescue Committee, which oversees this important mission and there is just one location in the Phoenix area. Volunteers are needed for a variety of tasks.
If you would like to volunteer these are the steps you need to take:
1. Email Pastor Jim O’Neal who will talk to you about the program and supply you with a phone number to call the IRC Volunteer Coordinator.
2. Call the IRC Volunteer Coordinator and attend an online or in person orientation meeting.
3. Apply online and give information for a background check.
4. Choose an area of service and sign up to serve on a particular day or days of the week each month.
5. Show up, serve and meet some wonderful people and other great volunteers.
Please note: While speaking Spanish or Portuguese would be helpful and in some areas essential, in many areas it is not required. Phone apps to translate and pictures on the wall to help us determine what the people are asking about.