Since early March, it seems days have passed slowly but the weeks have passed quickly. Sooner than you realize, we will be turning the calendar to 2021.
If your Executive Director or CEO is planning to retire or move on before the end of the year, it is important to begin thinking about the timeline and process. If you are a retiring or departing ED/CEO, your board leaders need time to process your pending departure and get organized. And you need to be equipping your staff team to handle a smooth transition to a new leader. Some key questions to consider:
- Communications: Who needs to know and when?
- Timing: When do you start? How long will it take?
- Staff or board candidates: How do you deal with the politics?
- Transition/search committee: Who should be involved?
- Organizational priorities: What needs to be completed or started, before the ED/CEO moves on?
- Sustainability: What impact will the departure of the ED/CEO have on the organization?
The Charitable Advisors team has supported more than 30 nonprofit ED/CEO searches and leadership transitions in the past two years and almost 80 in the last eight years. We have developed a locally focused, cost efficient alternative to the traditional, expensive executive search process that allows board members to focus on selecting the right candidate while we guide and walk alongside you through the process.
Call or e-mail, in confidence, to talk through:
- Communication priorities and strategies
- Assembling your search committee
- Determining an overall timeline
We provide an affordable alternative to the “do it-yourself” approach or steep traditional executive search fees. Contact Bryan Orander:
Bryan Orander, President