Ft. Myers Metro-McGregor Kiwanis
PO Box 61104
Ft. Myers, FL 33906
(239) 940-3893 Club President
Meeting called to order by President Rachel Toomey. Total attendance: 19, members-17, guests/speakers-2, Donna Michaelessi and Dee Patel. Glad to hear Cathy Smiths husband is doing better. Nice to have Shana del Castillo with us today.
19th-Shana Del Castillo
- Want to unload some old but clean T-shirts? Karen reports that Aktion Club is collecting them and making dog toys out of them. Bring them in and Karen will make the delivery.
- The Fort Myers Beach Chamber Bowling Social is July 18. Anyone interested? It's 4pm-9pm. Team entry for 5 is $75. Food, drinks and prizes.
- All the dining books we printed are out. Please bring back those you were unable to sell so we can offer them to others.
- ICON (International Convention) Barbara Hartman, Rachel Toomey, Todd Adams, and Lindsey Lenhart are representing our club at the convention this weekend.
- DCON registration is open. Our state convention is August 15-18 in Orlando. Let Rachel know if you are interested in attending. We have 4 signed up so far.
- July 30 is a "Fifth Tuesday" Social. Details are coming, possible Miracle Baseball game. We will have a lunch meeting and use the time for committees to gather.
We have 3 more clubs to visit by September and we'll have completed a round-robin with every club in our division. We need a minimum of 4 members to attend in order to count.
- Pine Island-Mangomania is July 13-14. We can help sell the "fish drop" tickets
- Sanibel-Meeting is 1st or 4th Tuesday. 7am breakfast, 8am meeting at the Dunes.
Ronald McDonald House-next dinner prep is July 10th. See Cathy for details.
School Supply Drive-We'll be collecting school supplies again for Littleton Elementary. Our speakers from today gave us a list of specific items that are the most needed:
#2 pencils (any brand but Ticonderoga is the best), pencil cape erasers, glue sticks, dry erase markers, highlighters (any color), pens-blue, black or red (any brand, Loose leaf paper (wide-rule, and colored pencils. Bring them to a meeting on or before August 6th. They will be delivered to the K-Kids faculty advisors on August 8. Don't want to shop? Others would be happy to do it for you, just make your donation to another volunteer.
MS Support Group
(Bill Grant), meets 3rd Thursday of each month at St. Hilary Episcopal Church. Please consider attending a meeting and learn about this project so we'll have more
back up volunteers. See Liz Ross over the summer months.
"Buddy Bench Program"
Todd dropped off another load of bottle caps in support of the "Buddy Bench" program.
The Lion's Club collected enough to have their first bench made and working on the next one.
Fort Myers Beach Chamber is a drop-off location for caps.
SLP's (Service Leadership Programs)
(Karen Hurst) at LARC. Meets 2nd Tuesday at 8:30am, year-round.
FGCU. (Stewart Ross) On summer break.
Harris Segel) Collegiate High on FSW campus.
On summer break. A few members will be joining us at our July 16th meeting. They are doing a clean up on FMB after the July 4th fireworks display.
Barbara Hartman, Todd Adams, Ada Trapanese) Cypress Lake Middle School. On summer break.
K-Kids-(Kim Berghs) Littleton Elementary. On summer break.
Today's Program: K-Kids at Littleton Elementary
Today our speakers were Donna Michaelessi and Dee Patel, faculty advisors for the K-Kids club we sponsor. 80-90% of the students live at or below the poverty level. We learned about some of the projects the club did this past year; a "change drive" to support Cystic Fibrosis . They collected $700. A high school student and former K-Kid asked the K-kids to help. They collected food for the Salvation Army last fall and made ornaments to give the Gold Wing motorcycle riders. They collect pull tabs and help distribute food snacks at BUG ceremonies. This year they hope to meet twice a month when possible. They are going to partner with Best Buddies, do a project called "Kindness Strips" and help maintain an outdoor classroom built by FGCU students.
Pictured above from L-R are Donna Michaelessi, Dee Patel and President Rachel.
Wear the Fund; Sam Lewis
Quality Life Center, Abdul Haq Muhammed
Board meeting, 6pm at Ada's
Love A Child, Raquel Baugh
5th Tuesday Social
July speaker chair
Where/when we meet: 11:30am on Tuesdays at Shoeless Joe's in the Crowne Plaza, 13051 Bell Tower Drive, Fort Myers 33907
"Kiwanis is a global
organization of volunteers
dedicated to improving the
world, one child and one
community at a time."
President: Rachel Toomey
President-Elect: Lindsey Lenhart
Treasurer: Todd Adams
Secretary: Kim Berghs
Immediate Past President: Liz Ross
Governor Steve LeBlanc
President Florencio "Poly" Lat
DCON (District Convention)
Annual Holiday Party
Please save year-round...
Aluminum pull tabs for K-Kids
for Ronald McDonald House. To Kim during the school year.
To Cathy over the summer.
for Builder's Club, give to Barbara Hartman year-round.
Plastic bottle caps to Todd for Buddy Benches
Our club charter date:
July 23, 1980