Due to the continued shut-down of state offices and a large back-log of MVE-1 inspections, the Kansas Highway Patrol (KHP) will begin conducting “virtual” VIN inspections on Monday, April 20, 2020 to help navigate the current pandemic. The KHP believes this is their best option to serve the public without violating social distancing practices and stay at home orders. It is important to understand “virtual” process for VIN inspections is strictly temporary and Troopers assigned to the MVE Unit will continue to perform inspections for motor vehicle dealers when they reach the minimum requirement of 10 VIN inspections.
information and photos
will be required for the Kansas Highway Patrol to complete a virtual MVE 1 inspection and must be emailed to the closest VIN inspection station in their respective areas. The requirements listed are a minimum, as additional information may be required and not all vehicles will qualify for this virtual inspection. Rebuilt salvage, assembled vehicles, and any vehicle requiring an identification number affixed will be by appointment only.
- Clear photo of Driver’s License or government issued I.D. and current telephone number.
- Clear photo of the completed front and back of the title.
- Clear photo of the Public VIN (show the rivets, if the VIN plate has them).
- Clear photo of the Public Vin with the front of the title.
- Clear photo of the Federal Certificate Label, which is inside of the drivers door (vehicles missing the Federal Certificate Label may not be eligible for a virtual MVE-1 inspection).
- Clear photo of the Federal Certificate Label and the front of the title.
- Clear photo of the odometer showing the mileage of the vehicle.
- Photo of the engine compartment (please state the number of cylinders).
- Clear photo of the front and driver’s side of the vehicle.
- Clear photo of the model of displayed on the vehicle.
Kansas City Area
913 789 8857 (KCK)
316- 265- 5644 (Wichita)
All questions should be directed to the local VIN inspection station.