Several provisions of the
Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and. Economic Security (CARES) Act apply to the administration of affordable housing.
The act imposes a 120-day moratorium on tenant eviction filings and charging late fees for almost all of the nation’s affordable housing properties.
Section 4024 of the act applies to properties that either 1) have a federally backed mortgage loan or 2) participate in a covered housing program as defined in the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).
Under VAWA, covered programs include:
- the low-income housing tax credit (LIHTC),
- public housing,
- Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program,
- project-based Section 8 housing,
- Section 202 supportive housing for the elderly,
- Section 811 supportive housing for persons with disabilities,
- Section 236 multifamily rental housing,
- Section 221(d)(3) Below Market Interest Rate housing,
- HOME Investment Partnerships
- Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS,
- McKinney-Vento Act programs, and
- USDA Rural Development.