HCCA's "Top Dog" Eating Contest!
Harper's Choice Community Association's first "Top Dog" eating competion is taking place at National Night Out, Tuesday, August 7th. Anyone 18 and older who is interested in competing in the National Night Out "Top Dog" event may click here to register or simply stop by Joseph Square in Harper's Choice Village Center, Tuesday August 7th, anytime between 6pm - 8pm and speedily consume five deli-style hot dogs and buns. An HCCA representative will time each participant and the person with the fastest times will win the grand prize, gift cards to "Tour The Restaurants of The Mall In Columbia."
Summer Pool Parties! Save The Dates!
Mark your calendar for this year's fun neighborhood pool parties! We're excited to splash and play with our community at what we are expecting to be our best pool parties yet! Space is limited for both events. These events are free, but tickets are required and will be available at Kahler Hall beginning June 7th.
Longfellow Neighborhood Pool Party
When: Thursday, July 12 from 6-9pm
Where: Longfellow Pool
HomeSlyce Pizza Truck & Flavor Cupcakery Cupcakes
Swansfield Neighborhood Pool Party
When: Thursday, August 9 from 6-9pm
Where: Swansfield Mini Water Park
Food: HomeSlyce Pizza Truck
Hike With HCCA
Monday, June 18th, 10am - 1pm
Patuxent Branch Trail
9190 Old Guilford Road, Columbia, MD 21046
Join Harper's Choice Community Association for a breathtaking hike while experiencing some of Columbia's history.
We'll trek 4.6 miles on the Patuxent Branch Trail that leads you along the Patuxent River from Savage Park to Lake Elkhorn. Along the way are interpretive signs and the historic Guilford Pratt Truss Bridge that spans the Little Patuxent River along Old Guilford Road. The mostly paved pathway provides you with the perfect hiking or biking trail. Runners will also enjoy the variety of terrain that offers challenges for all ability levels. Wildlife is abundant, so bird watching is also a favorite pastime for users of this trail. Make sure to pack your lunch; midway through our hike we'll stop and have a leisurely meal before wrapping up the rest of the trail.
Swim For Free Three Days Each Summer!
CA residents have the opportunity to visit Columbia Association's 23 outdoor pools for free on the second Sunday of each month: June 10, July 8 and August 12.
Residents of CA-assessed property must have a Columbia Card to receive access. Cards can be obtained at no cost at CA's Customer and Member Service Center, located at CA Headquarters, 6310 Hillside Court. Address verification in the form of a driver's license or imprinted personal check and dependent children's birth certificates are required to obtain a Columbia Card. For more information, call 410-730-1801.
2018 Lakefest Weekend Featuring: eVenti Verticali June 15th - 17th at The Columbia Lakefront
The FREE LakeFest Weekend includes three days of live music, an
invitational arts and crafts show
with 55+ artists, strolling performers, festival food, a HowardOnTap Beer Garden and an array of activities and entertainment for all ages.
Wanted by eVenti Verticali
A major highlight of LakeFest will be performances of
Wanted by eVenti Verticali, a performance group from Italy who brings together different art forms, including theatre, circus, graphic design, acrobatics, dance, music, visual comedy, and new technologies. This is a show the whole family can enjoy!
for the Lakefest Weekend schedule.
World's Largest Swim Lesson
2018 Maryland Natural Resource Photo Contest
2017 Grand Prize Winner: American Wigeon by Nikunj Patel
Enter the 2018 Maryland Natural Resource Photo Contest!
The 15th Annual Maryland Department of Natural Resources Photo Contest runs now through Aug. 31, 2018. Winners will be featured in the Department's 2019 wall calendar and published in the winter 2019 edition of the magazine. Enter now-online or by mail-for your chance to win cash, state parks passports, and other terrific prizes!
Photographers may enter photos featuring Birds, Insects, Flora, Recreation, Scenic Landscapes, Weather & Wonder, and/or Wildlife. Judges will select first, second and third place winners by season. (See Prizes section for more details.)
There will also be a "Fan Favorite" selected by popular vote on
. The photo with the most "likes" will also be printed in the calendar and magazine.
We remind all participants to be careful of their surroundings and always put safety first!
- An entry fee of $10 for up to three photos and $3 for each additional entry must be paid with your submission. The number of photos submitted is unlimited.
- Photos (or parts thereof) previously published online or in print by a third party are not eligible. This includes print outlets and professional websites/social media accounts. Entering images you've shared on your own personal pages are eligible, provided they meet size requirements.
- All photos must be original.
- Light edits/enhancements only-images with heavy effects, manipulations and/or watermarks will not be considered.
- Photographers from any state may participate, but all photos must be taken in Maryland.
- Judges will make selections based on the quality, composition, content, originality, creativity and mass appeal. Decisions are final and in the judges' sole and absolute discretion.
- This offer is void where prohibited by law.
- The department is not responsible for lost or misdirected entries.
- Photographers authorize the department to distribute their image(s) for non-commercial purposes with photo credits-including but not limited to education and news purposes-to the State of Maryland, media, print, digital, online services and television for their use. Photographers retain copyright to these photos, the above agreed to permissions not withstanding.*
- The contest is open to all photographers, except for employees of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources and their immediate families.
Please be mindful that the winning photos will appear in a standard size wall calendar and may need to be cropped or scaled.
TO ENTER ONLINE: Entries must be sent by 11:59 p.m. (EST) on Aug. 31, 2018
- Photos must be clear with the highest resolution possible - minimum 3600px x 2400px at 300 dpi.
- Go to shopdnr.com to pay the entry fee.
- Submit the photo entry form here. Before you upload your file(s), please name them in a Category_Title by Name format. Example: Flora_Sunflowers in Bloom by John Smith.jpg
TO ENTER BY MAIL: Entries must be postmarked by August 31, 2018.
Download an Entry Form
- Describe all photos on the contest entry form, which must be included with your photos.
- Eligible formats include 5"x7" or 8"x10" prints. No slides or transparencies.
- Photos are not to be matted, mounted or framed.
- Each photo must be labeled on the reverse side with the name and address of the photographer, category and photo number corresponding to the entry form.
*Per our terms, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources may post photos online-including the Department's website and social media outlets such as Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and Pinterest-after the contest. If you enter online, do not embed any nonessential personal data into your files.
Grand Prize Winner (Overall):
$500; 2019 Maryland State Park Passport; five-year subscription to the Maryland Natural Resource magazine; five copies of the 2019 calendar; image on the cover
Three First Place Winners (winter, spring, summer, fall, minus the Grand Prize Winner)
2019 Maryland State Park Passport; two-year subscription to the Maryland Natural Resource magazine; five copies of the 2019 calendar
Four Second Place Winners (winter, spring, summer, fall)
One-year subscription to the Maryland Natural Resource magazine; five copies of the 2019 calendar
Four Third Place Winners (winter, spring, summer, fall)
One copy of the 2019 calendar with winning photo published
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN THE COVENANTS?
If you have two evenings a month, and a desire to make a positive impact in your community, then we have a position open on the Architectural Committee for you. This committee is composed of resident volunteers who are responsible for the review and approval of all applications for exterior alterations to existing property and applications for in-home businesses within the Village.
Contact the Covenant Advisor, Debbie Nix, for more information at 410-730-0770 or
Dear Architectural Committee:
We have a house on our cul'd sac with mold on the side for several months and it is getting worse. Why hasn't the Village done something about this house? It really looks awful...
Signed, Longing in Longfellow
The Covenants are complaint driven, so we rely on residents letting us know when a problem occurs in their neighborhood. All calls, emails or letters to this office are handled anonymously. We make a site visit to confirm the presence of a violation and take the appropriate steps to resolve the matter with the homeowner. Most covenant violations are successfully resolved this way. We encourage residents to help us in our work to keep Harper's Choice the best Choice!
Have you visited us on Facebook lately?
Please join us on Facebook for up-to-date information about what's happening in and around the Harper's Choice Community.
Architectural Committee Meetings
Changes made to the exterior of homes in Harper's Choice require approval of the Village Architectural Committee (AC).
The AC will meet on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month at 7:30 PM to review applications.
The deadline to submit applications for approval is two weeks prior to the next meeting date.
Village Board Meetings
The next meeting of the Village Board is scheduled for July 3rd at 7PM. Approved Agendas and Meeting Minutes are/will be available on our website.
This weekly e-Newsletter serves as a recap of news and events we share with our community throughout the week via other social media channels. Connect with us on
to receive more regular announcements and information from us.
Subscribe to Our e-Newsletter
Was this message forwarded to you from a friend? You can subscribe to this newsletter directly so that you can receive it straight to your inbox from us! You may also text HCCANEWS to 22828 and follow the prompts to register.
5440 Old Tucker Row Columbia, MD | 410.730.0770 |