New Titles, Author Notes, Book Giveaways, and More
...Anastasia Phoenix who, when she learns her sister is missing, travels worldwide determined to find her alive in PROOF OF LIES, a romantic thriller from Diana Rodriguez Wallach
...and Skyco, an Algonquin boy in SPIRIT QUEST, an extraordinary coming of age historical adventure from Jennifer Frick-Ruppert.
Judy Gelman and Vicki Levy Krupp
Ages 12 and up / YA Spy Thriller / Entangled Publishing
Win a copy of PROOF OF LIES by Diana Rodriguez Wallach for your book club. Enter to win by emailing the author (write "KidsBookclubbing" in the subject line).
When you write a thriller, there's no greater compliment than mystery fans saying they didn't guess the ending. But what makes me smile even more than those reviews, is when someone feels that they walked through Italy with Anastasia or that her sisterly bond reminded them of their own.
My goal with PROOF OF LIES was to create an adrenaline rush that transported the reader from clam chowder at Quincy Market in Boston to a boat chase through the dark canals of Venice. I wanted to capture the places I've traveled so vividly fans would research airfare to Tuscany. I also wanted to create a family drama so emotional fans would cry and cheer for Anastasia Phoenix.
PROOF OF LIES asks you to consider how far you would go to save the only person you have left. Would you risk your life for your sister? Your parents? If the answer is yes, then I think you will relate to Anastasia's experience even if your world isn't full of superspies and clandestine organizations.
Because believe me, you'll never see the ending coming.
Diana Rodriguez Wallach
A Starworthy Pick by Star Magazine
A Bustle Top Nine Latinx Authors to Read for Women's History Month
A Paste Magazine Top 10 Best Young Adult Book for March 2017
"One wild ride of a book..."
"Gripping and full of heart."
-Alyson Nöel, #1
New York Times bestselling author of The Immortals Series
"Fast-paced, romantic, and endlessly intriguing."
- Alisa Valdes, bestselling author of
The Dirty Girls Social Club
"James Bond, Jason Bourne, and Spy Kids all rolled into one action-packed, suspenseful, mystery book. WOW!"
-Read Love blog
"Proof of Lies is one of those books that resonates with the reader if they have a sibling..."
-Lady Techie's Book Musings
"I love when the author's descriptions of far away places feels authentic, and
Proof of Lies had this in spades and so much more."
- Bibliobibuli YA
- Department D, the criminal espionage organization in the book, specializes in disinformation. What do you think about the role disinformation and fake news play in society today?
- Anastasia had a very unconventional childhood, how do feel that shaped the choices she made in the novel?
- The setting of book shifted from Boston, to Rome, to Tuscany, to Venice. How do you feel these locations affected the tone of the novel?
- Anastasia often runs head-first into danger. What choices do you think she should have made differently? And which choices do you think she made correctly?
- Anastasia travels through Italy with Marcus, Charlotte, and Julian. Who did you distrust most? And who did you want Anastasia to trust more?
- Anastasia and Keira have a complex relationship. How did you see Anastasia's feelings toward her sister evolve?
To read the truth behind the real-life communist spy that inspired PROOF OF LIES, listen to the PROOF OF LIES playlist, see the author's travel pictures of scenes from the book, and follow her on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Tumblr, visit her website.
Author call-in information: Diana is happy to call-in to or Skype with your club. She can also meet with your group if you live in the Philadelphia area. Email Diana to submit your request.
Ages 9-12 / Middle Grade Fiction / Amberjack Publishing
Win a copy of SPIRIT QUEST by Jennifer Frick-Ruppert for your book club. Enter to win by emailing the author (write "KidsBookclubbing" in the subject line).
What if you found a book that combined adventure and history -- a way to bring the past to life? SPIRIT QUEST is the story of an Algonquin boy as he grows from child to young adult.
I got the idea to write SPIRIT QUEST while studying the history of the North Carolina coast. I conducted historical research into the lost colonists and native peoples of the Southeast and the book follows the Native American people who met the first English explorers of America.
It is the story of Skyco who, as he grows, must learn not only the practical skills of hunting, fishing, and starting a fire, but also the importance of community, connection to ancestry, and the natural linkages in the web of life.
"(Skyco gives) great value to Chowanoke life before the coming of the English."
- Marvin T. Jones, founder of the Chowan Discovery Group
"An ancient story well told....an extraordinary coming-of-age story of a young Algonquin boy.... Lucky are we to be travelers on this great ride with Jennifer Frick-Ruppert and the historical characters she has brought back to life through her fiction."
-The Smoky Mountain News
"This was an interesting, exciting book."
"...a very cute and enjoyable story, perfect for a book slump!"
"...a good read for any middle grader / young teen who's interested in Native American culture and stories."
"...so cute and wonderful! I enjoyed it a lot."
- Why do you think Roncommock chose the specific animals that Skyco connects to?
- Which animal's perspective was your favorite to read about?
- Which part of Skyco's training did you think would be the hardest?
- Do you think that Skyco is ready to be the new chief of his tribe?
- What role do you think Ascopo will play in Skyco's life after Skyco becomes chief?
- A maximum of 10 books is available for each book club giveaway.