You are receiving this letter because you indicated on the August 1 Reopening Survey that your child/ren are interested in attending Knight School on the days that they would otherwise be learning from home. We are writing with additional information intended to help you make an informed choice about your child/ren’s Knight School enrollment.
Knight School is a program designed to help Middle and Upper School students access teaching and learning from a school environment (46 Belmont Street, Watertown) on their remote learning days. Knight School provides structure and support to students as they participate in both synchronous and asynchronous lessons and assignments.
All Knight School students and families will receive a Handbook during the week of September 7, but in the meantime, we wanted to share some relevant details about the Knight School program:
- Knight School will run during the same hours as the MS and US schedules on the remote learning days.
- MS Knight School will run from 8:15 AM-3:00 PM.
- 7th grade will be in Knight School on Thursdays and Fridays
- 8th grade will be in Knight School on Mondays and Tuesdays
- US Knight School will run from 8:20 AM-3:25 PM
- 9th and 10th grades will be in Knight School on Thursdays and Fridays
- 11th and 12th grades will be in Knight School on Mondays and Tuesdays
- There will be no Knight School on Wednesdays.
- Students can sign up for Knight School for one or both days each week.
- Students/families must sign-up for Knight School each week by 5 PM on Wednesday of the week prior.
- The first week of Knight School will be the week of Monday, September 14.
- Students registered to take a school bus on in-person days can ride the bus and will be dropped off and picked up at Knight School at 46 Belmont Street in Watertown.
Knight School will adhere to the same health and safety procedures as the other campuses. For a reminder of what these entail, please refer to the COVID-19 Appendix to the 2020-2021 Student and Family Handbook.
- Lunch and a snack will be served at Knight School. There will also be dedicated mask and movement breaks, utilizing outdoor spaces as much as possible.
- Knight School will be staffed by members of the Knight Corps, a cohort of 22 young professionals serving the BB&N community during the 2020-2021 school year, and overseen by Emma O’Loughlin, Co-Director of Extended Year Services and Knight School Coordinator, and Dr. Jed Lippard, Chief Learning Officer.
- Knight School attendees will begin each day by completing a simple goals sheet/work plan to guide their learning for the day and to enable Knight Corps staff both to be helpful on-site and to communicate with campus-based teachers about student progress and support needs.
- Knight School attendees should bring the the following items to Knight School each day:
- Their BB&N-authorized laptop
- Noise canceling headphones with microphone
Please consider this option if your child does not have a set already.
Please reach out to Dr. Jed Lippard if your family requires assistance in purchasing headphones.
- All relevant schoolwork and materials
- A water bottle
So that we can plan and staff effectively for the launch of Knight School, we are asking all families to confirm their child’s overall interest as well as their attendance for the week of September 14 by submitting this Knight School Registration Form by no later than Wednesday, September 2 at 5 PM. Only complete this form if your child/ren will be making use of Knight School this semester.
Thank you for your time and consideration, and please reach out should you have any additional questions.