Stratford’s historic Grange Hall is on the way to a more secure future. Constructed as the town’s meetinghouse around 1820, it was moved across the road in the 1890s and became the headquarters of the local Grange. Eventually, the road developed into busy Route 3. Salt, snow, and vibration from passing trucks buffeted the building, while run-off from the road washed through the building’s fieldstone foundation and rot damaged much of its clapboard siding.
A $61,500 LCHIP grant is helping the town tackle these problems: the building has been moved twenty feet back onto a new foundation and the building and the deteriorated clapboards are being replaced with quarter-sawn clapboards from a Vermont mill.
Photo: Stratford Selectmen Charles Goulet takes the measure of the notably wide planks of the 200-year-old sheathing recently exposed when carpenters removed rotted clapboards.