We faced history-making winter weather in February, an experience we would all rather not repeat. Nevertheless, it’s important to prepare our homes as winter rolls around once again. Ensure your family’s safety and reduce the risk of property damage due to freezing temperatures by following these two checklists.
Before freezing temperatures:
- Disconnect and drain garden hoses. Cover outdoor faucets.
- Insulate external pipes, outlets and your attic.
- Add caulk and weather stripping to your windows and doors.
- Have your heating system professionally cleaned and inspected.
- Turn your irrigation controller off to keep sprinklers from running.
During freezing temperatures:
- Turn your thermostat down a few degrees to conserve energy.
- Keep your garage door closed if your car isn’t running.
- Let your faucets drip. Open cabinets with pipes to let heat in.
- Close your fireplace damper if not in use to prevent heat loss.
Know how to shut your water off if a pipe bursts. Not sure how to turn your water off? Watch a video on how to.
Download a digital copy of the checklist. Empower your family with the tools and knowledge to prevent property losses.