|Spring semester is moving right along and a lot of great things are happening this month at LMC! In addition to a continuation of activities that celebrate Black History, we have the annual Academic Competition, and the Cesar Chavez Awards, to name just a few.
Also, important registration and graduation dates are coming up, so check them out now to be prepared. Best of all, keep in mind that Spring Break is almost here, so hang in there. Your well deserved rest is coming soon!
Please read on for details on this, and more.
IMPORTANT ACADEMIC DATES
- April 1-6 - Spring Break - No Classes
- April 15 - Last day to submit early Fall 2019 graduation application for early Fall 2019 registration
- April 26 - Last day drop full-term classes with a "W"
- May 24 - Last day of instruction
- May 24 - Commencement Ceremony
- May 27 - Memorial Day Holiday - COLLEGE CLOSED
More Important Academic Dates
SPECIAL SPRING BREAK HOURS
This year, Spring Break will be April 1 through 6. Services will be limited and the college will close at 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday. The college will be closed all day Friday, April 5 and Saturday, April 6.
If you are uncertain whether an office you want to visit will be open, you may call the switchboard at (925) 439-2181, ext. 0 for information.
Missed the Deadline to Apply for Spring 2019?
If you missed the application deadline for Spring 2019 graduation, you may fill out an Application to Walk in Graduation Ceremony with Coursework Remaining form, along with a Graduation Application indicating Summer 2019 graduation. On the Graduation Application, check the box that indicates completion in spring. The form will be accepted April 8 - 16.
Application to Walk in Graduation Ceremony with Coursework Remaining
Summer 2019 Grads can Participate in Commencement Ceremony
If you will be taking your last classes in Summer 2019 and wish to participate in the Spring 2019 Commencement Ceremony, you can fill out an Application to Walk In Graduation Ceremony with Coursework Remaining after you register for your Summer 2019 classes. Be sure to check the box that indicates completion in summer and list the courses being taken during the Summer Session. The form will be accepted April 8 - 16.
*Please note, summer graduates may not be enrolled in more than two (2) classes during the summer term to qualify for graduation.
Application to Walk in Graduation Ceremony with Coursework Remaining
For more information visit the Graduation web page, or contact Admissions & Records at (925) 473-7500.
|CESAR CHAVEZ AWARDS
César Chávez Awards Program & Recognition Ceremony
Date: Friday, March 29
Time: 6:00 p.m. Reception, 7:00 p.m. Program
Join us as we celebrate the life and legacy of César Chávez in 2019. We have a variety of events planned throughout the month of March, culminating in the César Chávez Awards Program & Recognition Ceremony, on Friday, March 29.
- The LMC César Chávez Award is presented to a local resident who best represents the core values modeled by César Chávez: Service to Others, Sacrifice, Help the Most Needy, Determination, Non-Violence, Acceptance of All People, Respect for Life and the Environment, Celebrating Community, Knowledge, and Innovation.
- The César Chávez East County Educator Award recognizes a member of the educational community who demonstrates the qualities of César Chávez and a commitment to student success and equity, particularly for students of color and those from low-income families.
- The Chávez Spirit Award is given to an emerging/student leader who embodies the spirit of César Chávez and, within the last year, has made a significant impact on the local community in the areas of advocacy and social justice.
For more information about the ceremony, contact (925) 473-7302.
|STUDENT LIFE EVENTS
MLK / César Chávez Food Drive
Dates: Through March 29
Location: LMC Food Pantry and Student Life Office
The food drive supports the LMC Food Pantry for students. Non-perishable/non-expired food donations can be dropped off at the LMC Food Pantry (Room CC3-817, in the College Complex, between the Veterans Resource Center and the Cafeteria) or at the Office of Student Life (The GA Building at the front of campus, between the Child Study Center and Lake LMC).
Spoken Word Showcase
Workshop scheduled 5:00-6:00 PM
Food/Music: 6:00-6:30 PM
Open Mic: 7:00-7:30 PM
Showcase: 7:30-8:00 PM
For more information contact Umoja/BSU at
Date: Tuesday, March 26
Time 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Location: Library Community Room, L-109
To schedule an appointment please visit
and click, "donate." Then, use your unique sponsor code: LosMC to make your appointment. For more information or for assistance, contact the Student Life Office at (925) 473-7553.
Date: Saturday, March 30
Time 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Location: LMC Gym
The Academic Competition is a one-day event designed to motivate students to achieve scholarly excellence at LMC. It is also a fun and interactive way for students to compete academically.
Winning teams will receive the following scholarships (to be divided equally between team members):
1st Place: $2,000, 2nd Place: $1,500, 3rd Place: $1,000, 4th Place: $500
The deadline to register your team is
Friday, March 22 at 2:00 p.m. Your Team Registration Form must be completed and turned in to the Student Life Office (GA Building).
Save the Date! 2019-2020 Scholarship Ceremony
On Friday, May 10, LMC will be celebrating all of the year's scholarship recipients and donors, so please add the date to your calendar and make a point to attend. Details on time and location are coming soon.
Did you Apply for an LMC Foundation Scholarship?
Applicants will be notified mid-April via student email regarding the status of their application.
Available Scholarship Opportunities
For more information and to apply visit the Scholarship web page or contact (925) 473-7518.
- Shell Oil Company - 2019 Associate Scholarship Program- Award: $2,200
- Community College Transfer Scholarship - Award: Up to $4,000
- Spot Light on You Scholarship - Award: Up to $3,000.
- 2019 CCCSFAA Scholarship - Award: $500.
- Icanaffordcollege.com - Award: $1,000
|FINANCIAL AID NEWS
Important Spring 2019 Deadlines
- 2018 - 2019 Appeal Form and Direct Loans Request Form: Deadline, April 8
- CA Promise Grant (formerly BOG Fee Waiver): Deadline, May 24
- FAFSA Application 2018-2019: Deadline, June 30
Missed the 2019-2020 FAFSA Priority Deadline? You Can Still Apply!
It's never to late to fill out a FAFSA or or Dream Act application. The Priority deadlines are in place to alert you to dates that make you eligible for the maximum aid opportunities, but there are still many forms of aid to apply for. Apply now to see what you may qualify for in the upcoming academic year.
Apply now for Financial Aid the Current Semester
It's also not too late to complete your FAFSA or Dream Act Applications for the current semester.
If you have not yet applied please fill out a 2018-2019 application
I Applied for Financial Aid. Now What?
Students who have applied, but have not received payment, please check your Checklist on InSite. Submit all requested documents and/or information to complete the financial aid process in a timely manner.
To check Your Checklist follow the steps below
- Log into InSite and click on Financial Aid.
- Review the Checklist to identify which forms or documents you need to submit.
- Visit the Financial Aid Office during office hours to submit the documents requested.
Students can also visit the Office of Financial Aid in the Students Services building, Room SS3-309, to check their financial aid status. For identity protection and privacy, we require that students provide photo identification at the time of each visit.
Spring 2019 Financial Aid Disbursement Announcement
Pell Grant awards are disbursed in two payments each semester. For students who have already received 50% of their aid, second disbursements will be released on March 28.
Pittsburg Campus Financial Aid Lab Hours
Financial Aid office, level 3, Student Services Center
Get assistance with:
February 11 - May 24
- Creating an FSA ID and password
- New FAFSA/CA Dream Act or renewals
- Adding our school code
- Insite for Financial Aid
Tuesday: 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
Special Wednesday Evening Hours
March 20: 5:00 - 6:00 pm
April 17: 5:00 - 6:00 pm
May 15: 5:00 - 6:00 pm
Brentwood Center Drop-In Hours
Monday - Wednesday: 8:30 a.m.-12:00 noon, 1:00 p.m.- 3:00 p.m.
Thursday: 2:30 p.m.- 6:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon
Need answers to your questions about financial aid?
Need updates on your financial aid status? To drop-in, just c
heck in at the Brentwood Center front desk and make sure to bring a Photo ID.
If you need help filling out the FAFSA or CA Dream Act, stop by the front desk or call
(925) 473-6917 to make an appointment.
For more information, go to the Financial Aid web page or call (925) 473-7525.
BRENTWOOD CENTER NEWS
Student Services in Brentwood
The Brentwood Center offers many services to help students succeed in college, including Education and Career Counseling, Financial Aid, Transfer Services, and more. Visit the
web pages for services offered and hours of operation, or call us at (925) 513-1625 for more information.
web pages or call (925) 513-1625 for more information.