Dear LTHS Parents/Guardians and Families,
I hope this email finds your family having an enjoyable summer! We are one month away from the start of the 2021-2022 school year and it is with great anticipation that I share some important information with our LT families.
As you may have seen, last week we launched our new LTHS Twitter and Instagram accounts. We are very excited to expand our use of social media to showcase the outstanding things our students and staff are doing at LT! We look forward to utilizing these social media accounts to generate excitement about the LT Experience, promote events and the many opportunities available to our students, and make our school culture visible to our community. Over the next month, we will share content aimed at getting our school community excited about the start of the year. Follow our LT social media accounts to stay informed about all things LT and enjoy as we share the LT story!
I want to provide you with several updates as we continue our planning for the 2021-2022 school year.
CDC/IDPH COVID-19 Prevention Guidelines & Mitigation Efforts
On Friday, July 9, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) released guidance, which was immediately adopted by the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) and the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE). Our administrative team spent last week reviewing the guidance and discussing potential health & safety protocols and mitigation efforts for the upcoming school year. We will continue our planning efforts this week and hope to communicate an update in the near future.
The most recent guidance from the CDC, IDPH and local health agencies continues to stress the importance of getting vaccinated. LTHS will host another vaccine clinic on August 4th and 25th from 12pm - 6pm at the South Campus Fieldhouse. UPDATED: Please click on this link for important information regarding the upcoming vaccine clinic.
Fully vaccinated students are encouraged to share a copy of their vaccine card with the Health Office by emailing a jpeg picture or PDF to email@example.com. Students who are fully vaccinated do not have to quarantine in the case of a close contact; therefore, they will not have to miss school, activities, or athletics, unless they are symptomatic.
Complete Online Registration: Details are outlined within the enrollment services page on the LT website.
Submit Birth Certificate (new students only): Birth certificates are required for all students. All families of incoming freshman students and transfer students new to LT need to submit an original birth certificate to the South Campus Main Office. The birth certificate must include the name of at least one parent. A copy will be made and the original will be returned to the family. Later this week, we will send a targeted email to those families that still need to submit their child’s birth certificate.
- Submit Health Paperwork:
- Class of 2025 Families: All incoming freshmen are required to provide:
Health examination with proof of immunizations prior to the first day of school. This must be completed by a MD, DO, APN or PA, dated on or after 8/20/20 and documented on the Illinois Certificate of Child Health Examination. A separate sports physical is not needed.
Dental examination by no later than May 15, 2022. This dental examination must be completed by a licensed dentist on or after 11/15/20 and be documented on the IDPH Dental Examination Form. Details are outlined within the health form link on the Class of 2025 webpage. Please submit documentation electronically as a PDF or JPEG and any related questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Later this week, we will send a targeted email to Class of 2025 families that still need to submit medical paperwork.
2021-2022 Seniors, including Transition Program and 5th-year Seniors: All seniors are required to provide documentation of compliance with the Illinois meningococcal conjugate (meningitis) vaccine requirement. Please review the meningitis vaccination requirement information on the LT website. Failure to comply with this requirement can prevent your student from starting on the first day of school. Please submit documentation electronically as a PDF or JPEG and any related questions to email@example.com. Later this week, we will send a targeted email to Class of 2022 families that still need to submit medical paperwork.
Complete Fee Payment: Families that still need to complete fee payment can log in through their Portal account to make a payment.
Residency Verification: Families that have not been cleared through our electronic verification process need to prove residency prior to the beginning of the school year. Families can complete residency verification by visiting the main office at either campus Monday - Friday from 7am - 3pm. Students that have not been cleared for residency verification will not be able to start school on August 19th. Later this week, we will send a targeted email to those families that still need to prove residency.
Book Pick-Up: A separate communication will be sent regarding Book Pick-Up which will include the link for reserving an appointment time.
School Calendar & 2021-2022 Daily Schedule
- LTHS will return to a pre-pandemic, 8-period, full day of instruction for all students starting with the first day of student attendance, which will be on Thursday, August 19, 2021.
Last month, our Board of Education approved an updated 2021-22 school year calendar. Every Wednesday will be a late start for all students, with the exception of the last week of each semester. First period will start at 8:45am on late start days. More information will be shared with families as we get closer to the start of the school year.
Monday, August 9 thru Friday, August 13 – Book/Chromebook Pick-up
- In addition to picking up their learning materials, students will have the opportunity to find their lockers and walk their schedules to help them become more familiar with our buildings. Students will receive their schedules for the 2021-2022 school year the week of August 9th.
Sunday, August 15 – Sophomore Locker Decorating Event (3pm - 5pm)
- We are planning a fun opportunity for Class of 2024 students to come together on Sunday, August 15th from 3pm-5pm at South Campus. We will have treats and music, and students will have the opportunity to connect with their friends and classmates as they decorate their lockers for the beginning of the year and leave positive messages for incoming freshmen! More specific information will be shared with Class of 2024 students and families.
Monday, August 16 – Freshman Experience Day (7:45am - 11:45am)
Freshman Experience Day is an elite opportunity for Class of 2025 students to begin building connections with classmates, student leaders, and staff. Students will also have the opportunity to explore LT’s South Campus, which includes time to walk their schedule, practice opening their locker, and find their classes. Students will get a taste of the vibrant and spirited school culture as they learn more about LT traditions. Class of 2025 students will have the chance to hear about supports and resources available to our students as they meet with Student Support Team members. They will also spend some time thinking about the things they would like to accomplish during the 2021-2022 school year in order to make their LT Experience fulfilling, fun, and meaningful! It is our hope that Class of 2025 students leave Freshman Experience Day feeling excited about LT and ready to build connections, develop relationships, and take advantage of the many opportunities LT has to offer. Specific information will be shared with Class of 2025 families.
Wednesday, August 18 – Buildings Open for Student Schedule Walk Through (5pm - 7pm)
- Buildings will be open from 5pm-7pm on the 18th for those students who were not able to walk their schedule during Book Pick-Up or need a little more time in order to feel comfortable prior to the first day.
Thursday, August 19 – First Day of Student Attendance
- We will be implementing our 7:45am - 11:30am (23 minute period schedule) bell schedule for the first part of the day and then students will attend an LT Fest at each of our campuses in the afternoon as part of the first day experience. Students will follow their schedule and attend each of their classes in the morning. We are in the process of finalizing details for our LT Fests, but are planning to have BBQs, inflatables, music, and games! Students and staff will have the opportunity to have fun, connect and enjoy coming together as a school community. All students will attend the LT Fests in the afternoon; we will be sharing specific information about dismissal as the school year approaches.
Friday, August 20 - Second Day of Student Attendance
- There will be a Social Emotional Learning focus within all classes on the 20th. We will follow a traditional bell schedule on the 20th, but are working with student support staff and teaching staff to develop a series of lessons that will be delivered throughout the course of the day. Many more details will be shared in the coming weeks, but it is important to note that we are planning a series of lessons aimed at supporting all students as we transition back to a more normal school environment. These lessons will be scaffolded throughout the day so students have access to different content as they progress through the day. As we get closer to the school year, all students and families will receive information on supports and how to access them.
Tuesday, August 24 – Co-Curricular Night (7:00pm - SC Fieldhouse)
- We will be adjusting the format for Co-Curricular night. The opening presentation will be recorded and shared with families prior to Co-Curricular night. The fair will be held in the South Campus Fieldhouse and will start at 7pm. More details to follow as we get closer to the start of the school year.
Thursday, August 26 – South Campus Parent Open House (7:00pm)
- The night will start with our Freshman and New Family Welcome Presentation which will take place in the South Campus Fieldhouse from 6:15pm - 6:45pm.
Thursday, September 2 – North Campus Parent Open House (7:00pm)
As our planning efforts evolve, we will continue to share updates and information with our school community.