Creating a More Perfect Democracy
Ideas for Local Leagues in Illinois
For Celebrating and Commemorating
100 Years of the League of Women Voters
And the 19th Amendment: 1920 to 2020
Dear Illinois Local League Leader:
In just two years, the League and the 19th Amendment to the Constitution will be celebrating their 100th Anniversaries! In anticipation of that, a small group of Leaguers answered a call to form a
Anniversary Committee for the Illinois League. These anniversaries are too important to limit the celebration and commemoration to just a single year. Let's start now to
Count Up to 100!
Following are information and some ideas that the members of the LWVIL 100th Anniversary Committee hope will be of use to each local League in Illinois. But we know local leagues will have ideas of their own.
We hope you will share those ideas and let us know what you are planning by sharing them on a 100th Anniversary Google Group
that is open to all members of Local Leagues in Illinois.
To join this Google Group, simply email your interest to
, and Roberta will take care of adding you.
We also need help from your local League members with some of the activities that the LWVIL 100th Anniversary Committee is pursuing. See the last section of this document. We'll be sending out a request to participate to all Illinois League members shortly, but we wanted to provide you with some background, as well as give you a first look.
The Separate "LWVIL 100th Anniversary Fundraising Campaign: Celebrating Our First 100 Years! Investing in Our Second!"
The President of the LWVIL will be visiting all local Leagues during 2018 thru 2020 at least once. Besides discussing the 100th Anniversary Celebration in general, she will also be discussing this Fundraising Campaign, including the two suggested options for giving:
- Commemorating Our Stories on the 100th Anniversary Celebration of Our History Timeline with a $1,000 contribution, and/or
- Making a Lead Gift of $10,000 or more
You'll be receiving more information about this Campaign separately, and you can read more about it
Activities the LWVIL 100th Anniversary Committee Is Pursuing
- Sending out monthly messages starting soon to local leagues which could be included in local leagues' newsletters/web pages, email messages, along with suggested social media messaging, about history of 19th amendment and League.
- The LWVIL Anniversary Committee is exploring obtaining short plays that could be presented as readings or performances by local leagues, and we may be able to provide you with discussion guides.
- Creating a commemorative item, such as a pin or button.
- Holding a white dress and hat event (or something similar) at LWVIL 2019 convention.
- Talking to Chicago Humanities Festival for appropriate theme for Festival in 2020.
- Professional video/script to open all league programs.
- Special edition Fannie May chocolate (company was also founded in 1920).
- The University of Illinois at Chicago Forum has been reserved for Feb. 14, 2020 (a Friday) for an appropriate event and anniversary celebration (open to people besides League members).
- Hold the LWVIL Issues Briefing the next day, Saturday, Feb. 15, 2020 (also the 200th anniversary of the birth of Susan B. Anthony), followed by a banquet for all League members and their guests.
ANYONE FROM YOUR LEAGUE ABLE TO HELP WITH ANY OF THESE ACTIVITIES THAT THE 100th ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE IS PURSUING? PLEASE CONTACT Mary Kubasak,
, 312-802-7430. The 100th Anniversary Committee could really use your assistance!
Celebrate the League of Women Voters and the 19th Amendment