Our Committee Chairs are hard at work, scheduling meetings to plan events for the coming
year. Make sure to check the calendar for these upcoming dates. Consider getting involved by
joining a committee (or 2!) and attending a planning meeting. It's a great opportunity for you to
contribute your ideas.
Mark your calendars for the League kickoff event on Tuesday, September 19, at 7:00 p.m. at
the Main Library Veterans Room for the presentation "Home is a Human Right: An Immigration
Update". It's a great time to meet other members and learn about one of our major areas of
focused activism: immigration. Share the flyer with a friend or neighbor.
We are moving a little closer to completing the application to the IRS to become a 501(c)(3)
organization. We hope to finalize the documents in early October.
The League of Women Voters National Convention will assemble in Chicago from Thursday,
June 28 to Sunday, July 1, 2018. Illinois is the host, so there's an all-call for volunteers in order
to help make this convention a success. Add it to your 2018 calendar! More details to come.
Check out a new "meet and greet" event "Leaguers Who Lunch." It is an informal monthly lunch
gathering for members who are free to meet up at a casual restaurant for socializing and
informal discussion of our issues. Maybe that turkey club sandwich with a side of sweet potato
fries will get your ideas flowing... (Attendees pay for their own meals.) Watch for information in our Week in Preview Monday email and the calendar.
From the archives of 1915-1919
Notes from the meeting of the Suburban Civics and Equal Suffrage Association:
● There were a lack of ballots for women at the primaries of 4/11/1916
● Report on moving pictures: great need of censorship in Oak Park
● Petition presented to the Village Board for waste baskets in the parks: failed - lack of
● Program discussion of proposition to remove streetcar tracks from Chicago Avenue
● Proposed bylaw change to insert "to attain full suffrage ": lost by one vote
● Discussed desirability of men members, approved as full members.
● Program - Junior High proposition
● Amendment was introduced into Congress for a Constitutional Amendment for Women's
● Scarcity of garden seeds for war gardens
I hope you enjoy this small window into the early events of the organization in its infancy, prior
to its formalizing into the League of Women Voters. We have such a wonderful wealth of history.
It is up to you to add to our present events so future members can enjoy reading about us.