Dear Lafayette Parents,
On Thursday October 20th,
the Lafayette Home and School Association
Board voted to reaffirm our mission.
We, your Lafayette Home and School Association Board, thought it was an appropriate time to make sure HSA members and members of our Lafayette community know who we are, what we are committed to doing for each of you and how to get in touch in with us with questions, concerns, compliments or just to say hello.
The Lafayette HSA is a group of volunteer parents, Lafayette staff, and members of our local community.
The HSA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit group, like a traditional PTA. All 22 members of the Board (volunteer parents, Lafayette staff and a volunteer community person/neighbor) strive to create a sense of community by bringing parents and the school together in a cooperative way. A complete list of board members and their emails can be found
s primary mission, as laid out in our bylaws, is two-fold:
- To establish and operate an organization to promote cooperation among parents, teachers, and other staff at Lafayette Elementary School, the community, and the government of the District of Columbia.
- To bring home and school closer together, and work for the best interests of the children.
The HSA works to achieve our mission in a variety of ways including
- Engaging parents in volunteer and social activities around the school;
- Raising funds to support programs and events not covered by the DCPS budget;
- Keeping parents informed of what is happening at schoolthrough our communications channels like the website, constant contact emails, backpack stuffers and Facebook and Twitter account; and
- Serving as a resource for parents who have questions or thoughts about what is happening at school.
We serve as a resource for you,
the parents, by fostering dialogue and helping to facilitate and strengthen the communication channels between you and the school. But we also understand that with all of the changes this year, many of you may not be aware of these channels or how to reach out with questions, concerns or even compliments
The following is a list of ways to contact the HSA and key school leaders:
- Contact any of our 22 HSA Board Members directly. Each HSA Board Member can be reached via his/her HSA mailbox in the front office of the school or by email or phone.
- Leave a note in the suggestion boxes located in the Main Office and at the Security Desk. We worked closely with Dr. Broquard to set these up.
- Respond to the HSA Parents Survey which will be sent to parents tomorrow, November 2, with results being shared at the January 12th HSA General Meeting.
- Come to the HSA General Meetings. Our next meeting is this Thursday, November 3rd, where we will discuss safety issues. We welcome suggestions for topics for these meetings.
In an effort to be more responsive, we have also added an item to our monthly Board agenda that will allow each Board Member to share any questions, comments and concerns that have been expressed by our community. We will discuss as a group and work with Dr. Broquard on how to address these topics.
We also want to remind you that Dr. Broquard is always willing to meet with parents. You can contact her directly at
or sign up for Dr. Broquard
s office hours - if you would like to meet with her, please sign up for a 15 minute time slot. A SignupGenius will be posted on the HSA website by next week. We are also exploring additional communication vehicles soon, so stay tuned to hear more.
Lastly, we are excited to announce that Sophie Hanrahan, 1st grade mom, has joined the HSA Board as a Communications Co-Chair, effective November 1st. Sophie will replace Stacy Beck, who has decided to step down from her position on the HSA Board.
Stacy truly changed the level of communications for the HSA in the past two and a half years, leading the charge as Lafayette joined the social media world and providing beautiful photos of our children on the HSA website while keeping all news and events current. Stacy worked behind the scenes organizing our communications data, making information and the overall process for future Board members as streamlined as possible and user friendly. We extend a heartfelt thanks and endless gratitude to Stacy for her commitment to the HSA, we fully support and honor her decision. Please share your thanks and appreciation with her when you see her at school and within our community.
We also want to thank each of you, our parents, for working with us
as we continue to strengthen our community, support our teachers and staff, and continue to strive for the best and most well-balanced education for our children. We look forward to hearing from you and working with you throughout the school year.
Your Lafayette HSA Board,
1st Vice President
2nd Vice President
Ways & Means
Ways & Means
Early Childhood Liaision