Mark Your Calendar
Family Science Night 6:00pm
DCPS Count Day
No School - Professional Development Day
Halloween Parade & Parties - 1:30-3:00pm
HSA General Meeting
No School - Parent/Teacher Conferences
No School -
|MESSAGE FROM OUR PRINCIPAL AND THE HSA
Dear Lafayette Families -
As we enter the 10th week of school, Dr. Broquard and your two HSA Co-Presidents, think this is the perfect time to thank you, the Lafayette parent community, for a very productive beginning to the school year!
- Thank you to all the parents who have shared questions, concerns, ideas and kudos with the school and the HSA;
- Thank you to all the parents who have signed up to volunteer and contribute their time, expertise, and hard work within classrooms and for schoolwide events;
- Thank you to all the parents who regularly look through students' backpacks for notes and messages sent home;
- Thank you to all the parents who make sure their children spend time reading at home.
We Thank You for being an active participant within our community - we are very fortunate to have such wonderful families attend Lafayette.
We also want to take use this opportunity to make you are aware of several new efforts implemented this year, we hope you find them helpful:
- Extended Breakfast Hours - we invite you to grab a bite to eat with your child in the cafeteria between 8:15am-8:40am every morning. This is a continuation of DCPS's free breakfast program offered citywide.
- Extended Library Hours - please come by and explore our new library with your child from 8:15am-8:40am every day. Also, keep an eye out for our upcoming "Get to Know Lafayette's Library" column - coming soon.
- Dr. B Office Hours - if you haven't already, please respond to the Doodle Poll indicating when you would like Dr. B to offer office hours starting next month. Please note, a Signup Genius will be available for parents to sign up for 15-minute time slots.
- Suggestion Box - a suggestion box will be placed in the Main Office by the end of next week. Please feel free to drop confidential note in this box. We welcome comments, suggestions & kudos. We appreciate and count on your input as we work to refine our existence in the new school building. Parents can also email their suggestions directly to Dr. Broquard.
- HSA Mailboxes - located in the Main Office - please find for all HSA Board members, as well as Fall Festival, Auction, Spring Fair, Brick Program, Grizzly Gear & LEP/FLEX. Feel free to leave a note in these mailboxes or email any of the HSA Board members directly. We are here to support our parents. A list of HSA Board members and email addresses can be found here.
The next few weeks are very busy - here's a list, so mark your calendars! You can also find this information on the HSA website.
- TODAY, 10/25
- Tour for prospective families - 9:00-10:00am
- Peace of Mind Open House - Click here for details on grade-specific visit times (attachment)
- Tour for current Lafayette parents - 2:00-3:00pm
- Family Science Night - 6:00-8:00pm in the Cafetorium
- THURSDAY, 10/27
- Count Day - This is the day that our official enrollment is verified. Please be sure that all students attend school. Our funding is tied to our overall verified enrollment.
- FRIDAY, 10/28
- No school, Professional Development Day, End of 1st Term
- MONDAY, 10/31
- Halloween parties & parade - 1:30-3:00pm
- Lafayette Gives Back Trick or Treating at Knollwood, 3:45-5:00pm (sign up here).
- TUESDAY, 11/1
- New Lunch/Recess schedule begins. More information from your teacher is coming soon.
- New Parent Social 6:00-8:30pm at Macon Bistro - The Magnolia Room
- THURSDAY, 11/3
- November HSA General Meeting @ 7:00pm
- We will focus on overall safety issues including stranger danger, evacuation drills, reunification site, etc.
- FRIDAY, 11/4
- No school, Parent Teacher Conferences
Lastly, please note, Lafayette will serve as a voting site on Election Day, Tuesday, November 8. There will be no drop off lane that day. Please keep an eye out for additional details.
We thank you for all that you do,
REQUEST FROM NURSE COCKRELL
Donate Emergency Clothing
Do you have outgrown pants & socks ready to be donated or given away?
Sometimes our younger students have accidents at school or spills during lunch and don't have back-up clothing. Nurse Cockrell is the go to person and has a few items she can lend but she could use more. If you have items to donate, sized for the PK-3rd grade crowd please drop them off to her in the nurses suite directly across from the main office.
JOIN LAFAYETTE RUN CLUB!
This season 4th and 5th graders are invited to join the Lafayette Run Club. Students will learn the basics of long distance running, how to set personal fitness goals, and race etiquette. Run Club members can opt to participate in several 5Ks throughout the DC metro area. Races are open to all -- families are encouraged to register and run alongside their students. Families in need of financial assistance for race registration should contact Coach Hoppe.
Run Club practice starts on Tuesday November 1.
Run Club will meet for practice
in the Lafayette Park on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, 3:30-4:30pm
We ask that runners plan on attending at least two practices per week.
In order to sign up, students can pick up the Club Consent F
orm from Coach Howes during PE or Flex time and bring the signed form to the first practice they attend.
Our first race is on Sunday, November 6 in Rockville, MD. Please follow this
about winter track? We are going to allow the new staff members at DCIAA to work out the inevitable kinks of their first track season. The Lafayette Bears will participate in spring track which starts in April.
We look forward to running with you!
Coaches Hoppe, Howes, Ratliff, and Campbell
LET US HEAR YOUR FEEDBACK ON LEP
As we prepare for the Winter Session of LEP, we would like your input on the program. Please complete this survey and let us know your thoughts about how the program is running and any improvements you would like to see. The survey will remain open until 5:00 pm on Sunday, October 30
HALLOWEEN CANDY DRIVE
Halloween is upon us and that means it's time again for our annual Halloween Candy Drive for the Homeless. Every year at Lafayette we collect candy to send over to the Bethesda Cares Homeless Shelter. Last year we collected so much candy that our friends at the shelter were able to give a piece of candy to everyone who visited the shelter for a whole year. You might be wondering: "Why Bethesda Cares?" Lafayette grads Nina and Kyle Clemente work at the shelter and are willing to collect all of our candy and then bring a little to the shelter each week of the year. "Shouldn't we be giving people healthy food?" People going through hard times have very few treats. After the healthy meal they receive at Bethesda Cares getting a little sweet surprise really means a lot. Help us to help others by bringing in your extra Halloween candy starting on Tuesday November 1 - Thursday November 6. Drop your candy off in the Peace Room (202).
LAFAYETTE GIVES BACK
After all of the Halloween excitement at school on Halloween, keep those costumes on and join Lafayette Gives Back for an opportunity to extend the fun, and share the joy with the residents of Knollwood Military Retirement Community from 3:45 to 5:00. The children will get to show off their ensembles in a costume parade, and have a great time trick-or-treating with the residents. If your kids would like to join for this easy chance to brighten some lives, please sign up here.
LAFAYETTE COAT DRIVE
We're off to a great start, b
ut we still need more new and gently used/freshly laundered coats.
Thank you to everyone who brought coats and mittens and hats to the Fall Festival. Your generous donations helped us get about 1/3 towards our goal in just one day. Now we have one more week to get the rest of the coats we need to help children across Washington DC stay warm this winter. We will accept donations of new and gently used coats at school from now until Halloween. Just send them in with your kids and they can drop them in our bin. Or drop them in the bin on the front porch of 5841 Nebraska Ave. We are also looking for a few parent volunteers to help sort and drive coats to our donation sites. Email Jenny Backus if you are interested and thank you for supporting this great Lafayette tradition.
The HSA successfully raised $13,450 during our 2016 Spring Auction for a Library Loft and we wanted to give you a quick update. As many of you have probably noticed - the space does not look exactly like the pictures we shared the night of the Auction. Never Fear! We have many great suggestions and ideas for cozy reading nooks as well as cool and creative designs to enhance our already beautiful library. As of now, we need to let SKANSKA wrap up the "punch list" items within our school. Once the dust has settled, the HSA will reach out to parents with an update about a plan and timeline for this space. We thank you for your questions and interest in this area and will keep you updated. We appreciate your support!
JOIN THE AUCTION SOLICITATION TEAM!
We're going to party like it's 1928 during this year's auction!
Please donate to the auction or join our solicitation team. We're looking for donations of airline miles, connections to restaurants and hotels, and donations of experiences -- things that can't normally be bought.
We also need volunteers to solicit items from neighborhood
businesses and someone to coordinate parties and teacher treats.
Congratulations to the Bernstein family whose Chocolate Chip Pie won Second Place at the Fall Festival's pie contest! Last week's Bulletin incorrectly awarded second prize to a pumpkin pie with pumpkin seeds (although that sounds equally delicious!).
No School October 28th ~ Don't Be FRIGHTENED!
Get Into The Halloween Spirit with SPOOKTACULAR HoopEd Events!
Numerous Options To Make Your Ghosts And Goblins Stay Active All Day!
Hoops Basketball Camp @ Stoddert ES (Glover Park)
All Sports & Games Camp @ Oyster ES (Woodley Park)
All Sports & Ga
mes Camp @ Stuart Hobson MS (Capitol Hill)
St. John's All Girls Skills & Chills Day Camp
@ St. John's College HS (NW DC)