Capitol Buzz
November 2, 2020
Last Chance for Communities to Claim or Transfer Routes to Recovery Dollars

The Routes to Recovery COVID expenses grant program comes to a close this month. The Wisconsin Department of Administration created the Routes to Recovery program using federal CARES Act dollars to reimburse local governments for their COVID related expenses incurred between March 1, 2020 and November 6, 2020. This Friday is the deadline by which any COVID related spending must occur in order to be reimbursable under the Routes to Recovery program.

The final online COVID expense reporting period is November 7 to November 18.

Many communities have not yet used their Routes to Recovery allocation. According to DOA, many cities and villages have not yet used their Routes to Recover allotment. Of the $190 million the state allocated to local governments through the Routes to Recovery program, more than $100 million remained unclaimed as of two weeks ago..

Transferring to other local governments, including school districts is an option. Municipalities may transfer any remaining balance from their allocation to another unit of government and allow that other local government time to spend the dollars added to their allocation by the transfer. In addition, municipalities may make purchases of safety equipment, PPE, and other items on behalf of a school district and obtain reimbursement for the cost of such purchases from their Routes to Recovery allotment. Similarly, if a school district has already purchased safety equipment, PPE, and other reimbursable items in response to the COVID pandemic, a municipality may report such expenses to DOA under the Routes to Recovery program on behalf of the school district. Contact DOA for more information about these and other options for using your community's Routes to Recovery allocation to assist your school district. Submit questions to: covidgovgrant@wisconsin.gov

Routes to Recovery Updated Program Guidance. updated Routes to Recovery Program Guidance
FEMA Public Assistance for Certain COVID Expenses Remains Available

In addition to the Routes to Recovery program, which ends this month, municipalities may apply for FEMA Public Assistance for certain Pandemic related expenses. FEMA Public Assistance can provide help related to emergency medical care, barrier protection for medical facilities, the establishment of emergency operation centers, dissemination of information, disinfection of public facilities, personal protective equipment for emergency measures, and medical sheltering, among other activities.

As the pandemic continues, FEMA may be able to provide financial assistance further down the line, after the Routes to Recovery and other CARES Act programs conclude. However, the FEMA Public Assistance program can only provide 75% reimbursement of funds spent on eligible COVID-19 related activities. The remaining 25% is divided between the state of Wisconsin and the applicant. For a more detailed overview of how the FEMA Public Assistance program works, watch the webinar made available at the start of the pandemic:
Post Election Lunch with the League -- Virtual Roundtable -- November 10

Municipal staff and officials are invited to join the League's regular monthly all member Zoom roundtable next week.

What: Regular Zoom meeting each 2nd Week of the month on Tuesday from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm.

When: Tuesday, November 10. 12:00 to 1:00 pm

Zoom participation information: is here and always on our website here.