I’m delighted to share this newsletter that includes some exciting updates from LeBoHA. Some of you have not heard from us in awhile, however LeBoHA has continued to carry out its mission to help strengthen the health system of the Mountain Kingdom of Lesotho. Some highlights of the progress we have made in recent years:
- The Family Medicine Specialty Training Program (FMSTP) is the first physician training program ever in the country and is now fully accredited. We are looking forward to reaccreditation September 2021.
- There are now 3 full time faculty, 9 graduates all of whom remain in the country, and 11 registrars in training. Our doctors work in 9 of the 10 districts of Lesotho and are fulfilling our goal of having a locally trained physician accessible to nearly every individual in Lesotho, especially in the rural communities.
- FMSTP faculty and leadership are rapidly transitioning from international to local leadership, and LeBoHA has added new faculty and administrative leadership development programs to support this transition.
- LeBoHA has signed a contract with the MoH to run the National Medical Internship Program – over 40 Basotho interns who completed medical school in other countries are now enrolled in this 2 year program. Considering there were 130 doctors (1:20,000 people) when we started, this is quite an achievement.
- Our dream of transitioning the educational programs from grant funding to sustainable MoH long-term support has been realized.
- In the next few months, USAID ASHA funding will allow ground breaking on 4 new buildings - 2 more houses, a second “Bicknell House” and an academic center for administration, teaching and research on our beautiful land in the Leribe district.
We are proud of these accomplishments that Bill Bicknell envisioned in 2003 when we began. This progress would not have been possible without the generosity of each of you. Your ongoing support helps fund critical needs such as infrastructure, faculty development, scholarship and medical equipment. I deeply appreciate your contributions that help us touch more lives and honor Bill’s legacy.
Below are some more details of these program. Please contact me directly (email@example.com) to set up a time to talk, or to request more details about our work. We plan to send out 3 newsletters each year – so stay tuned!