At the request of Governor Evers, DOT has created a Transportation Stakeholder Task Force to solicit feedback on transportation needs and budget priorities. Three people with ties to the League have been appointed to the Task Force: League Board member and past President, Mayor Tim Hanna, Appleton; Executive Director Jerry Deschane; and Deputy Director Curt Witynski.
The Task Force was to meet today, January 28th, in Madison, but the meeting has been rescheduled for Thursday, January 31. A second and final meeting is scheduled for February 4th in La Crosse. DOT Secretary Thompson has asked the Task Force to discuss and answer the following questions:
- How can the state ensure that adequate funds to preserve and maintain the current transportation system are available, while also making improvements that support the mobility needs of the state’s population and economic growth?
- How can the state share transportation revenues equitably with local governments?
- While the motor fuel excise tax continues to be the primary funding source for transportation, it is not growing commensurate with current system needs. Do revenue sources need to be expanded?
- How should the state’s delivery of transportation services be modified to address changing needs?
- Does the state’s current multimodal balance support the needs of businesses and citizens?