This is a 5-week course designed to introduce people to the full scope of Catholic prayer as articulated by Teresa of Avila in her famous “four waters” analogy. It explains these four stages beginning with vocal and discursive prayer (such as meditation and mental prayer) to contemplative prayer and transforming union. Classes include instruction and hands-on practice of the various types of prayer and addresses common questions such as:
- What can we do to deepen our connection with God in prayer?
- How do we discern His voice in prayer?
- What are the main stumbling blocks in our prayer life?
- How do we handle distractions, dryness, and consolations.
- What are the signs of advancing prayer?
Each week participants have a homework assignment. Instruction will include a once-a-week online course lasting one hour. It will consist of an opening prayer, review of the homework assignment, a 20 minute lecture, 15 minutes of prayer practice and 15 minutes for Q&A.
Live online sessions for this 5-week course will take place on August 7th, 14th, 21st, September 4th, and 11th at 8PM ET
. Study materials will be emailed a week prior to each meeting.