Message to Representatives:
Oppose language that phases out existing CRAs by the year 2038, unless the CRA board votes to retain the CRA by a supermajority vote.
- The state should be wary of attempts to phase out CRAs, particularly if the debate is over the merits of revitalizing blighted areas. CRAs have demonstrated that they dramatically improve the economic and social outcomes within the targeted CRA areas. These outcomes benefit the cities, counties and, most importantly, the taxpayers.
- The League supports legislation to improve municipalities’ use of CRAs to effectively carry out redevelopment and community revitalization.
- My city’s CRA is our community’s best tool for improving infrastructure, maximizing local resources and making long-lasting positive changes.
- This redevelopment tool is used by both Florida counties and cities of all sizes, from Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville, to Hernando County, Madison and Apalachicola.
- This financing system is successful because it provides specific public services without increasing or levying any new taxes. No state money is involved. This is local tax dollars being put to work locally.