As the Ohio Legislature returns for session from an extended holiday break, the OAPCS legislative team is preparing for another round of testimonies, meetings and advocacy to ensure our members' voices and concerns are heard at the Statehouse. With the passage of House Bill 2 and its mandates taking effect February 1, we are monitoring the implementation phase and working with the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) across the many new requirements instituted by the bill. We also are assisting our members with any issues or questions they have regarding the legislation. At times legislation generates unintended consequences, so OAPCS is a continued resource as HB 2 takes effect and the charter sector begins the process of responding to the reform measures.
Review the full bill analysis here
Currently, OAPCS is also tracking other legislation on behalf of its members. Priority bills are listed below and the full list of titles, sponsors and purpose is
. Please review this list and contact me with any questions or concerns.
- House Bill 113: Requires instruction in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and use of an automated external defibrillator as a requirement for high school graduation.
- House Bill 146: Requires instruction in cursive handwriting.
- House Bill 212: Addresses state achievement assessments, statewide academic content standards and model curricula.
- House Bill 410: Addresses habitual and chronic truancy and compulsory school attendance.
- House Bill 420: Prohibits the Ohio Department of Education from including students who 'opt-out' of state assessments in calculations of certain grades in the state report card and to declare an emergency.
- Senate Bill 3: Exempts high-performing school districts from certain laws.
We identified these bills as "priority" because of the probability that they may receive more than one hearing and the possibility of the bill moving quickly through the legislative process.
Please stay connected with OAPCS through our social media and website, as legislative updates and other timely information is conveyed through these channels. We look forward to working with our members in this new year. Don't hesitate to contact me for any reason.
Director, Government Affairs
Ohio Alliance for Public Charter Schools (OAPCS)
33 N. Third Street, Suite 600
Columbus, OH 43215
Office: 614-744-2266, ext. 210