At Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona (BCBSAZ), we live our purpose: Inspiring Health. We aim to inspire health in our community and among our members, and we are committed to helping our employees be their healthiest selves—both physically and mentally. Most of our 2,400 employees have been working remotely since March and are missing out on our many on-campus health promotion programs. To serve our employees and the broader community, we have implemented the following:
1. Virtual Health and Wellness Offerings. With our on-site fitness center closed, the fitness center staff offers a variety of online virtual classes every day of the workweek. Plus, the center’s one-on-one fitness and nutrition consults have shifted to phone calls to help employees set goals and develop strategies to meet those goals. And our on-site dietitian conducts regular webinars on various nutrition topics.
2. Free Masks. As a MASK UP AZ campaign supporter, we provided free masks to all employees and their covered dependents. And we have an ongoing photo-sharing social campaign encouraging people to share photos of themselves in masks and to share their personal stories about why they wear a mask.
3. Online Mental Health Resources. BCBSAZ offered our employees (and all Arizonans!) a free three-month subscription to Unwinding Anxiety, an online program to help people take control of their anxiety. Also, we’ve continually shared resources—including webinars, articles, tip sheets, and more—from our employee assistance program as well as from our wellness platform, Sharecare. Plus, we launched an internal Daily Smile email to give employees something positive to look forward to each workday.
4. Virtual Volunteerism. BCBSAZ’s heritage of service is highly regarded in our community and is honored by our employees. Many of our projects serve our purpose of Inspiring Health. Plus, we know that volunteerism is good for mental health. So, we’ve made an effort to offer opportunities to do good from home.
5. Waiving Cost Sharing. To help reduce the risk of spreading the virus, BCBSAZ is encouraging the use of virtual care by eliminating cost-sharing for telehealth sessions and expanding access to telehealth and provider hotlines. We’re also waiving the cost-share for medically necessary diagnostic tests related to COVID-19.