As you all are aware, we will be going to remote learning next week. Monday will be a Professional Development day for our teachers, and we will begin remote learning on Tuesday. In Lower School, it will look differently depending upon the ages of your children.
Children in Pre-kindergarten, Junior Kindergarten, and Kindergarten were sent home with bags of materials for them to use. In the Pre-Kindergarten bag, you will find
BOB Books, monster finger for reading practice, CVC (consonant, vowel, consonant) word puzzles, markers, journal, stickers and sticker book, scissor skills bag with scissors, beads and necklace yarn, glue stick, etc.
The Junior Kindergarten bag contains an R book to read together, a small blank book to practice coloring and writing letters, a packet of Rr activities, write your own story materials with a beginning, a middle and an end with a letter from Ms. Massey explaining it all. The Kindergarten bag has an Explode the Code phonics book for them to work out of, Just Right Books, math materials, and writing materials. If you have an electronic device at home, there are also many apps that you can access with them to encourage letter/sound relationships, math concepts and for our K-Kids access to Raz Kids, a reading website. I do suggest that you use these sparingly and mostly do hands-on activities with your children. The teachers will be connecting with you and your children everyday with special challenges for them to do. Also be on the look-out for videos from Mrs. Dinelli, our EDP teacher.
Besides what is being sent home you might want to have the following available.
- Parent access to an electronic device such as a laptop or tablet
- internet connection (to read daily emails/videos from the teacher)
- Printer (with paper and ink)
- Art Paper (optional - size, color)
- Colored pencils, crayons, and/or markers
- For students who are writing/reading: notebook or writing journal
- Craft supplies: beads, string, glue sticks, shapes, buttons, scissors
- Board games
- Ingredients for baking and cooking together (and/or for making home-made play-doh)
Students in Grades 1-4 will work both remotely and with materials being sent home. The classroom teachers will video themselves everyday explaining what the children should be doing. They will be accessing Google Classroom and Mobey Max for many subjects plus Raz Kids for reading materials. If they are doing any writing on paper, we will be asking that you take a picture of the assignment and send it via email to the teacher. You will also hear from our wonderful special teachers who will have activities for your children to participate in. For our EDP kids, Mrs. Beaugrand suggests that all kids should get outside to play and enjoy board games and jigsaw puzzles.
Supplies that may be needed:
- Access to an electronic device such as a laptop or tablet
- Access to an internet connection for online learning and research
- Printer, ink and plenty of paper
- Plenty of pencils for writing and coloring
- Board games
- Books for pleasure reading
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your children’s teachers or me.
Website for Remote Learning:
Coronavirus Response Page: