Welcome to the beginning of the 2019-20 school year. Lower School Orchestra classes begin after Labor Day weekend on Tuesday, September 3. We offer beginning classes for second-graders and third-graders as well as opportunities for children to continue their education in the string program in grades 3-5.
The Columbus Academy Lower School Orchestra is a program offered after school Monday through Friday. Strings classes are offered at several different levels, depending on children's skill levels and the levels completed in previous years. The string program may be right for your children if:
- Your children wish to pursue or continue their string education at Columbus Academy on violin, viola, cello or bass.
- You and your children are able to arrange for an extension to the school day.
- You and your children understand the time commitment, parental support and encouragement in addition to the practice time needed to become a successful player. Students are expected to attend all classes and practice on their own outside of class as well.
Please enroll immediately to secure a place for your children in the class.
Brief Outline of the Program
Classes are offered at the following times:
- Fifth Grade Orchestra -- Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 3:30-4:15 p.m.
- Level 1 Orchestra (Beginners) -- Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-4:00 p.m.
- Level 2 Orchestra (Third Grade) -- Tuesdays and Fridays from 3:30-4:00 p.m.
- Level 3 Orchestra (Fourth Grade) -- Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:30-4:00 p.m.
CONCERTS WILL BE PERFORMED ON AND OFF CAMPUS. A SCHEDULE WILL BE SENT HOME ONCE CLASSES BEGIN. There is a one-time fee of $35 that will be added to your Academy bill to cover the cost of music books and T-shirts.
Method books will be given out at the beginning of the classes. Parents are responsible for renting an instrument. I can highly recommend The Loft Violin Shop located at 4604 North High Street in Columbus.
The Loft has been serving the Central Ohio area for many years now, and the staff members are experts in the field of instrument repair, fitting and knowledge of quality instruments. I do suggest, however, that you rent your instruments as soon as possible, as the Loft also serves many area school systems. You may want to have The Loft check the instrument size, as your children may need larger instruments if they have grown over the summer! Please do not purchase instruments sight-unseen from the Internet. They are often poor quality and need additional work to be playable.
For Violinists, Violists, Cellists and Bassists
Our method book series is "Essential Elements." We will also work with outside materials and beginning orchestra music by a variety of composers. The school provides classes for your children as part of your tuition package to Columbus Academy. There is no charge for these after-school classes, but we encourage you to seek out private lessons for your children as well to help further their musical prowess.
- Any children in grades 2-4 are eligible for beginning lessons. We also begin fourth-graders on bass. Continuation in the program depends on active participation in class and faithfulness to daily practice.
- The ideology of traditional teaching methods, as well as Suzuki training, is incorporated into the curriculum. Not only will your children be receiving instrumental instruction, but they will also learn skills that can be transferred to many classroom studies. We ask that students who sign up continue through the school year. Class lists and registration forms are attached.
Registrations for classes are now being accepted. Please return this registration form to the Lower School Office or email to me (as well as any questions) at email@example.com as soon as possible. Make sure that you have arranged for a rental instrument before classes start. Please return the form above by August 26.
Columbus Academy Orchestra Director