For more information:
Andrea D. Lyon
53 W. Jackson Blvd. Suite 1650
Chicago, IL 60604
: Lyon Discusses How to Select a Lawyer
- I spoke at the 2020 Deep South Capital Defense Conference on March 3rd in Biloxi, MS. The topic of my presentation was "Storytelling as Persuasion". If you would like to bring this presentation on site at your firm, email me: email@example.com.
- Additional CLE on site programs that I offer include "Ethics in the Age of the 24 Hour News Cycle", and many other programs.
- Here is a complete list of my lecture topics.
- If you wish to hold CLE via webinar services to obviate gatherings in light of Covid19, please email me: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Client Centric Tips for Your Practice
In a recent podcast I did with the Chicago Bar Association's @the Bar Series
The Angel of Death
I got to thinking that my death penalty practice demonstrates some worthy persuasion ideas that may be useful to
practice. Here are two broad areas that may help you as an civil or criminal advocate:
- Know your client because they are often "Guilty until proven innocent": Your client will often be tried and judged in the court of public opinion due to the pervasive reach of today's media; from cell phone videos to social media commentary, you must know many facets of your client's personal and work life. You cannot gain this type of knowledge sitting at your desk.
- Humanize your client in the face of negative facts, evidence, media commentary and negative juror (judge) perceptions of your client. "No one is only as bad as his or her worst deed." You may not have a separate penalty phase, but effective trial strategy requires that you help decision makers empathize with your client.
Ms. Lyon is a renowned lawyer, author, speaker, professor and former Dean of the Valparaiso University Law School, who has been featured on national news and media outlets. Dubbed “The Angel of Death Row” by the Chicago Tribune, she was the first woman to serve as lead attorney in a death penalty case, and she holds an unparalleled 19 wins in 19 capital cases.