Dear MANS Member Administrators,
The past month has brought many new challenges for you as leaders. Without hesitation, you forged forward with distance learning in a limited time frame. The MANS staff has seen many wonderful stories of how you are connecting with your students and providing faith-centered content. We are in awe of you and your staff during this unprecedented time. The following will keep you up-to-date on the efforts MANS has been taking on your behalf during this period:
- CARES Act advocacy: In partnership with the Council for American Private Education (CAPE), MANS advocated for the inclusion of non-public schools in the CARES Act which includes two funds: 1) the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund and 2) the Governor’s Emergency Education Relief Fund (GEER). We sent out a Call to Action, inviting all non-public schools in the state to contact our U.S. Senators. This effort was successful with your assistance. MANS continues to be in contact with the Governor’s office and key state policymakers to advocate for equitable funding.
- Weekly Board Meetings: MANS has been convening its Board of Directors, weekly made to provide a space for your leaders to review urgent legislative and policy updates and to collaborate on best practices.
- State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs): The MANS staff worked with the Michigan Department of Education to develop a program allowing teachers to earn SCECHs for the preparation and implementation of distance learning. You can learn more about this opportunity below.
- COVID-19 Resources: MANS has been collecting resources and information related to COVID-19 and distance learning. You will find regularly updated information on our website. Click here to access the resource list. (Note: you do not need to be logged in to access this information).
- MNSAA Visit Modifications: The MNSAA Leadership Council and Regional Coordinators recently revised the process by which spring visits will be conducted. To reduce potential delays, visit teams will conduct as much of the visit as possible electronically and will complete the remaining portions when school resumes in the fall.
We know that you likely have been receiving a flood of emails regarding COVID-19. It is MANS intent to provide helpful content and updates. Moving forward we will be sending weekly updates with any updated information. If there is anything that is more time sensitive, we will send it out separately.
Finally, we want to hear from you on how MANS can better communicate with you during this time.
to participate is a brief survey regarding MANS communications.
Again, we admire your efforts during this time and thank you for your ongoing support in our shared mission of creating Disciples of Christ.