POLICY MATTERS: Creating Opportunity
The state support and funding for policies and programs that create opportunity is critical. We are advocating for policies that strengthen families, bridge the wage gap, create economic opportunity and strengthen the human services infrastructure.
We urge you to support i
ncreased resources for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program
Sites (1201-0100) -
- in the FY20 budget, allowing for $10,000 for each VITA site.
Did You Know:
- There is a network of 80 VITA sites (close to half run by Community Action Agencies) in MA serving +30,000 annually
- +1,300 Volunteers give +40,000 hours donating +$2M in tax prep services
- VITA = great investment with ROI of 60:1
- VITA provides access to Earned Income Tax Credit #EITC and Child Tax Credit #CTC: $60M in tax credits returned annually
- VITA is FREE - saves taxpayer cost of preparation (average of $300)
- VITA links taxpayers to the other critical services
- VITA promotes savings and financial literacy
- There are an estimated 75,000 left unserved in MA.
Funding for VITA sites would help more low-income tax payers access the recently increased State EITC, stabilize the network and allow for continued operations leading to expanded services.