MCA Health and Safety Protocols
1. Face masks will be optional in school and on SJCSD transportation
2. Temperature checks will no longer be a daily routine when students, staff, or visitors arrive at school.
3. Desk shields will no longer be a mandatory feature of all classrooms but will be used as appropriate when needed for health and safety protection or instructional/assessment purposes.
4. To the extent possible, maintain social distancing will be maintained and adequate space to keep seating/desks 3 feet or more apart will be provided. The objective is to minimize the amount of students that would be considered close contacts in a classroom.
5. Adequate supplies, including access to soap and water and/or hand sanitizer, will be provided to support healthy hand hygiene behaviors.
6. Plans for frequent cleaning and disinfection of shared spaces, objects, etc. will continue. This will include continued treatment of surfaces with an anti-microbial coating capable of killing viruses for up to 90 days. Frequently touched surfaces would include door handles, sink handles, playground equipment, desktops, reception countertops and other surfaces as needed.
7. If food is offered outside of the cafeteria during the school day, all items should be prepackaged to avoid sharing of food and utensils. Water will also be available in the event a student forgets their water bottle.
8. A designated “isolation space” for staff/students who become symptomatic while on campus will be provided. A staff member will be with the student until parent/guardian arrives.
9. If staff/student become symptomatic, the affected area(s) will be closed off and the principal and maintenance manager will be notified of the affected areas for cleaning.
10. A plan will be in place to fill positions of staff members who may need to quarantine due to a COVID-19 positive status or exposure.
11. At arrival, multi-entry points and controlled bus offloading will be in place. Schools will provide increased supervision to maintain directional flow, awareness of social distancing, and decrease opportunities for large gatherings of students. Each entry point will have adult supervision.
12. Alternative seating areas for meals will be utilized to promote social distancing if possible.
13. Students will have the opportunity to participate in after-school extracurricular clubs, activities, and sports with appropriate safety protocols and social distancing guidelines implemented. Please contact the appropriate Sponsor/Coach, Athletic Director or Principal for detailed information. St. Johns County School District will adhere to the guidelines of the Florida High School Athletic Association for practice and game schedules. Individual high school athletic directors will communicate to coaches, players, parents, and community.
14. Maximum capacity of a stadium is no more than 75% or 1,500 spectators. If using an auditorium/cafetorium/gymnasium, maximum capacity is no more than 75% capacity. A plan will be discussed to ensure that the maximum capacity requirement is not exceeded. Superintendent has the ability to increase to 100% capacity when circumstances allow.
15. If concessions are available, proper Department of Health safety protocols will be followed.
16. If an event/activity occurs outside of the school day you must have an admin/person in charge will make sure all health, safety, and security safeguards are followed.
17. Students who become sick on campus will be removed from the classroom. The student will be brought to an isolation space at their school. A school nurse will conduct a health assessment of the student. The school nurse and/or staff member will contact the parent/guardian to pick up the student. The school nurse and/or staff member will provide the parent/guardian next step protocols. The school nurse and/or staff member will follow safety and health protocol by reporting all incidences to the St. Johns County Health Department to initiate contact tracing. Contact tracing is a function of the St. Johns County Health Department with help and support of the St. Johns County School District.
18. All essential visitors or volunteers will be subject to St. Johns County School District health and safety protocols.
19. Field studies will occur in the upcoming year with appropriate safety protocols and social distancing guidelines in place.