2. LEVEL OF MOBILIZATION: Staff, students, volunteers, friends, family, anyone who supports an increase in state funding for ABE!
2 QUICK REQUESTS TO MAKE SURE ABE IS ON YOUR LEGISLATOR'S WISH LIST FOR FY 2018!
- This is an important message. We need everyone who cares about Adult Basic Education (ABE) and the students we serve to participate in the FY2018 state budget campaign. The volatility and uncertainty at the federal level means we must all do something to protect the services that our current and prospective students need.
- We cannot assume someone else will take care of it and that will be enough.
It will not be enough.
- If you do not usually communicate with your state representative and state senator during the budget process to let them know how important ABE is to you and your community, we ask you to please re-consider and start with this alert.
It's never too late to begin and everyone can help by doing something.
- MCAE's alerts provide you with the background information, talking points and coaching you need to be effective. Most of the MCAE alerts ask for quick telephone calls that take less than 5 minutes.
ABE is worth 5 minutes of your time.
- Thank you for everything that you already do for your students and ABE and for your help with these two requests.
CALLS TO LEGISLATORS TO MAKE SURE ABE IS ON THEIR BUDGET WISH LISTS
- State representatives and state senators are preparing their FY18 state budget "
now and will soon be meeting with the House and Senate leadership to advocate for their budget priorities.
- They are hearing from other advocates and they need to hear from all of us
before they finalize their wish list.
- Please call your state representative and state senator
now using the talking points provided
- The current FY17 allocation for ABE in the state budget is $29,468,517.
- For FY18, MCAE is asking for a $2 million increase
in ABE line item #7035-0002 to $31.5 million (rounded).
- Please remember to let us know by email whom you called and the response you received.
SEND STUDENT STORIES TO MCAE
- MCAE is collecting inspirational student stories that demonstrate the impact and importance of ABE. We plan to share these stories with legislators and policymakers during the budget campaign.
- Please be assured that we are not asking you to do any extra work to create materials. However, if you have any student stories on hand right now that you can share with us, please email them to us.
- We must also have a release from the student to use his/her name and story. If you need a release form, please see this sample and adapt it for your program.