SENATE PASSES AMENDMENT #137 TO INCREASE ABE FUNDING TO
$30.75 MILLION IN FY 2018
- Yesterday, the Senate approved a re-drafted version of Amendment #137 filed by Senator Eldridge to increase ABE funding to $30.75 million.
- The amendment was passed by a roll call vote of 37-0.
- Thank you to everyone who helped make our statewide campaign successful by calling, emailing or visiting your senator
! It was truly a team effort!
- Below is a chart with the FY18 budget process figures to date:
- The ABE line item contains a
$250,000 earmark for Operation A.B.L.E. of Greater Boston
to provide basic workforce and skills training, employment services and job re-entry support to older workers.
- MCAE continues to oppose all earmarks as unfair entitlements that undermine the open and competitive grant process. We will continue to make every effort to not have earmarks in the final budget.
NEXT STEPS IN THE BUDGET PROCESS
- The budget process is still in the Senate. After debating the remaining amendments, the Senate will approve its final FY 2018 budget.
- Because the House and Senate appropriations for the ABE line item are different, the Joint Conference Committee will need to reconcile the differences.
- As soon as the Conference Committee is formed, we will send another action alert.
PLEASE THANK YOUR SENATORS
AS SOON AS YOU CAN!
- We had a total of 15 co-sponsors to Senator Eldridge's Amendme
- Senator Jamie Eldridge (D-Marlborough)
- Senator Sonia Chang-Diaz (D-Boston)
- Senator William Brownsberger (D-Belmont)
- Senator Julian Cyr (D-Cape and Islands)
- Senator Adam Hinds (D-Pittsfield)
- Senator John Keenan (D-Quincy)
- Senator Barbara L'Italien (D-Andover)
- Senator Jason Lewis (D-Winchester)
- Senator Joan Lovely (D-Salem)
- Senator Thomas McGee (D-Lynn)
- Senator Mark Montigny (D-New Bedford)
- Senator Patrick O'Connor (R-Weymouth)
- Senator Kathleen O'Connor-Ives (D-Newburyport)
- Senator Michael Rush (D-Boston)
- Senator Bruce Tarr (D-Gloucester)
- Please take a few minutes to call your senator this week to say thank you for voting for the Eldridge amendment and supporting ABE. If he/she was a co-sponsor, please say thanks for that as well.
- A thank you call is one of the easiest, most important and appreciated calls you will make! Thank you!