Over the last 10 years, enrollment in the Monona Grove School District has grown by more than 525 students. In the next decade, 700 more students are projected. Also, in the next five years alone, enrollments at Taylor Prairie, Cottage Grove, and Glacial Drumlin Schools are projected to be over capacity.
After years of extensive planning, committee work, and community input, the Board of Education has approved placing two referendum questions on the November 6, 2018, ballot. The referendum will address growth, safety and security, and maintenance.
Question 1: $57 million for facilities
- Construct a new elementary school for grades 3-5 (On District-owned land in Cottage Grove. The school will be designed for potential future expansion.)
- Improve safety and security across the District
- Address critical maintenance and repairs across the District
- Update various classrooms and learning spaces
- Reconstruct the high school track and athletic field
Question 2: $930,000/year to operate the new elementary school
Voter approval of both questions would increase the school tax rate by an estimated $75 for every $100,000 of fair market property valuation.