The Marlboro Free Library, a small public library (pop. 12,000) in New York's Hudson Valley, seeks a highly motivated, self-starting individual to fill the position of full-time Children's Services Librarian. This Civil Service position involves supervising children's programs and services in the context of the Library's overall educational mission. The work requires that the employee have considerable knowledge, skill, and ability in every phase of the public library field, particularly as it relates to children's library services.
Duties & Responsibilities:
* Plan, prepare, and present dynamic, age-appropriate educational programs for children.
* Conduct preschool and after-school programs and some weekend programs.
* Conduct program outreach, registration, and keep statistics.
* Assist with the selection and acquisition of books, toys, craft materials and other items specific to children's services.
* Maintain the children's collections (print, media, etc.).
* Develop, schedule and administer the annual summer reading program for children.
* Assist in preparing the annual report particularly as to it relates to children's services.
* Act as a liaison with the school media specialists in the Marlboro Central School District.
* Develop new programs for children and young adults.
* Assume responsibility and a leadership role for special projects.
* Hire performers for children's programming.
* Keep abreast of professional news and trends in journals and media.
* Present information about library services and programs to individuals and groups.
* Pursue continuing education opportunities.
* Work as part of a team with the other library staff.
* Assist with circulation services as needed.
* Assist with staff training as needed.
* Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications:
* MLS or MSIS degree from an A.L.A. accredited institution; coursework in education a plus.
* New York State professional certificate for public librarian or school media specialist.
Strong understanding of current & emerging library technology.
* Strong customer service skills including an ability to work well with children and young adults.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication (written and oral) skills.
* Ability to work in a team environment.
* Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
This is a competitive Civil Service position.
Benefits Include: Paid vacation, sick, personal, and holidays; NYS Retirement; single medical & dental benefits.
Schedule: Full-time (days, evenings, some weekends required).
Salary: Starting at $21.00 per hour, commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter,
, and 3 references to
by April 9, 2018 for consideration. No calls please.