Thank you for reading General Mitchell
International Airport's MKE Airfield Update. This newsletter is intended to keep
you up-to-date on airfield construction projects, regular maintenance, and
special events that could impact the standard flow of arriving or
departing air traffic.
Spring is officially here, and the warmer weather also signals that annual maintenance on the airfield will be heating up!
- The main east-west runway used by commercial airlines, Runway 7R/25L, will be closed for pavement work from early June through mid-July.
- Two runways that primarily serve smaller General Aviation aircraft will be closed this summer. Runway 13/31 will be closed from mid-June through the end of August. Runway 1R/19L will be closed from mid-June through mid-August. The map below has more details.
- There will also be intermittent closures during daytime hours for regular maintenance work. Runways generally remain open during nights and weekends.
- Both paved runways at Timmerman Airport, the General Aviation reliever airport located on Milwaukee's northwest side, will be closed for six days in late May. This closure is necessary to replace the pavement at the intersection of these runways. During this period, one sod runway will be available to pilots when the field and weather conditions are favorable for grass landings. Runway 15L/33R will also be closed from late June to late July for runway improvements.
- The Milwaukee Air & Water Show returns this summer with a headline performance from the U.S. Navy Blue Angels. This may result in additional aircraft noise over certain neighborhoods during the weekend of July 15. The Blue Angels will likely do some practicing earlier in the week as well.
Several new nonstop routes have started at MKE recently. So far in 2017, the Airport has welcomed new service to Guadalajara, Mexico on
and to Seattle on
Delta Air Lines
. A new nonstop route to Portland, Oregon will begin in June on
. These new routes are very important to our residents and business community.
Stars & Stripes Honor Flights
at Mitchell Airport are currently scheduled for April 8, May 21, and June 10. These flights
fill the terminal with friends, family, and other spectators to cheer on
our veterans as they visit memorials in Washington, DC. We thank these veterans for their selfless service to our country.
Thank you for reading about the latest airfield happenings at MKE. If you are not on our mailing list, click the "Subscribe" button at the end of this newsletter. Please share with your neighbors; perhaps they would like to receive this newsletter as well.
Enjoy your spring!