As you may know, the Florida Legislature is currently in session and education is an agenda item that will see much action in this session. I had the opportunity to attend the Florida PTA legislative conference last week in Tallahassee and meet with our local and state legislators and the Department of Education to discuss the issues that are important to our children and teachers.
you will find my letter outlining the issues/bills that are being discussed, including education funding, teacher pay, and school safety
, as well as a flyer on the current stats of our education and the slides presented
. I urge you to reach out to Representative Jackie Toledo, Senator Janet Cruz, Commissioner Richard Corcoran and Governor Ron DeSantis to express your support for these bills and issues.
Some tips for communicating effectively with your legislators:
1. Write a postcard or an email, or place a phone call - contact information can be found below. If you call, ask to speak to a staff who handles education issues.
2. Express that you are a constituent, and let them know if education issues are a voting issue for you
3. Be constructive and respectful, if you have a specific story or example or anecdote, please share this. Remember that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, I can personally attest to this as a former legislative aide in Washington, DC.
4. This is a great civics exercise for your children. My children have written postcards - feel free to do this and be sure to include that you are constituents.
5. The sooner the better, timing is important. Session ends March 13, 2020 and each week these bills are being shaped and discussed. Early input is effective input!
I have heard from many of you throughout the year who support teacher pay increases and have concerns about education funding and school safety. Now is the time to use your voice!
Finally, I am circulating some slides that I presented at last week's PTA meeting which include information on the 2020 US Census and a local PTAPartnership that our school is participating in. Be sure to check those out as well!
Governor Ron DeSantis
Plaza Level 05, The Capitol
400 S Monroe St
Tallahassee, FL 32339-0001
Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran
325 W Gaines St, Suite 1514
Tallahassee, FL 32339-6533
Senator Janet Cruz
404 S Monroe St
Tallahassee, FL 32399
Rep. Jackie Toledo
402 S Monroe St
Tallahassee, FL 32399