Call for Papers - 14th International Conference on Private Higher Education in Africa
12-14 July 2016, African Union Conference Center Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Theme: The Role of Private Higher Education Institutions (PHEIs) in Sustainable Development
Sustainable development has been an overarching concern for the international community since the 1980s. Sustainable development is a process which requires a cumulative effort of not only public institutions and funding but also the resources and capacity of the private higher institutions of learning. As a matter of fact, private higher education institutions (PHEIs) account for more than 25 percent of the total enrollment in Africa, generate considerable employment opportunities and inject a huge amount of capital spending in the region's economies. It is therefore a timely undertaking to explore the actual and potential roles of PHEIs and regional institutions in Africa's endeavour to implement the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at national, regional and international levels.
Since 2003, St. Mary's University (SMU) has been organizing a series of annual conferences on different themes regarding the interface between education and development. In fact, SMU had the privilege to co-organize the 10th International Conference on Private Higher Education in Africa with the African Union Commission (AUC), the Association of African Universities (AAU) and other partners. Building on the experiences of effective inter-institutional collaboration in the past, SMU, the Federal Ministry of Education of Ethiopia, AUC, AAU and UNESCO/IICBA (International Institute for Capacity Building in Africa) are again joining hands to organize the 14th International Conference on Private Higher Education in Africa in the context of the SDGs and the education goals of the AU "Agenda 2063: The Africa We Want".
Therefore, interested researchers, academics and development experts are kindly invited to submit Abstracts and Papers or Posters on any of the following themes:
- Access to affordable and quality education for sustainable development
- Qualification/quality of teachers: Implications for teaching/learning/research and development
- Employability skills/entrepreneurship and sustainable development
- Sectoral policies, public-private partnership (PPP) and university-industry linkages;
- The role of regional institutions in higher education and sustainable development
- Gender equality, equity and community services
N.B. Abstracts should not exceed 400 to 500 words.
- Abstract submission: 15 April 2016
- Notification of acceptance of Abstract: 25 April 2016
- Submission of Full Paper and Power Point Presentations: 15 June 2016
- Publication of Abstracts and Program Handbook: 30 June 2016
- Conference date: 12-14 July 2016
Abstract/papers or posters should be submitted by email to the Research and Knowledge Management Office (RaKMO).
Kebede Kassa Tsegaye, PhD
Asst Professor (Sociology); MA (Anthropology);
MAIS (Master of Advanced International
Studies/International Relations); BA (English)
Director, Research and Knowledge
St Mary's University (SMU) -Ethiopia
Research Fellow - West African Institute (WAI)
P O Box 22/1032
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Tel. +251 911 683704