Secrets for Living Longer
Blog by Julie Miller, R.N.
Hi everyone, I am still in the Keizer and Wilsonville offices. Sorry if there was some confusion last month. There are lots of different systems to learn at the Keizer office so we have all been busy, but we are getting there, and will continue to offer the same level of service you have come to expect from us.
Since I didn’t write last month, the pressure is on to say something really profound this month. LOL. Well, I have been trying to be good about using my rowing machine and when I do, I sometimes listen to TED talks. This one, b
y Developmental Psychologist, Susan Pinker, inspired me so I thought I would share it with all of you.
The Secrets to Living a Longer Life
This is her top 10 list from the least powerful predictors of longer life to the strongest. I think the last two might really surprise you, they did me.
- Clean Air
- Treated hypertension
- Lean vs. over weight (notice this is only in 8th place, so don’t sweat it)
- Exercise (again not even in the middle)
- Cardiac rehab after a cardiac event
- Getting your flu vaccine (wow, more important than exercise)
- Booze in moderation
- Quit smoking
- Close relationships – people you can count on no matter what.
- #1 - Daily social interacations - socializing online doesn’t count. Interacting face-to-face incites neurotransmitters increasing trust and pleasure while lowering stress and pain. It can be as simple as a hello, or a handshake. (Interesting!) Learn more.
My additional 2 cents:
- Spend less than you make
- Quit eating or drinking crap(as in junk)
Moving forward I thought you might be interested in hearing about CoolSculpting from my own experience. I plan to try an area so I can let you know my thoughts and how it goes. Stay tuned, and don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions.