The Senate has fast-tracked Senate Study Bill 1214, which establishes the interim study committee on fine arts education. The resolution establishes the interim committee, and an advisory board comprised of the following members:
- The Art Educators of Iowa;
- The Iowa Bandmasters Association;
- The Iowa Choral Directors Association;
- The Iowa Communication Association;
- The Iowa Music Educators Association;
- Orff and Kodaly Chapters and Educators;
- The Iowa Education Theatre Association;
- The Iowa String Teachers Association;
- The Iowa State Dance and Drill Team Association;
- The Department of Education;
- The AEA; and
- Various school districts representing rural, suburban and urban areas.
In discussion with Senator Amy Sinclair, chairwoman of the Senate Education Committee and Department of Education representatives, there was discussion about the role the Fine Arts Leadership Team, which was formed to assist with the implementation of the Fine Arts standards for the Iowa Academic Standards along with the coordination of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) from the federal government.
It is expected that the resolution will be passed out of the Senate Education Committee this week. The Heartland team is working with the House Education Committee for passage of a similar resolution.
*Updated March 7 -
Larry Murphy reported that the interim study bill on Arts Education passed the Senate Education Committee by a 15-0 vote.