March 2017 News & Updates
Value of Water Campaign Releases Report on the Economic Impact of Investing in Water Infrastructure
Last week, the Value of Water Campaign released an economic impact analysis it commissioned to understand how investments in the nation's water infrastructure affects economic growth and employment. The report, "The Economic Benefits of Investing in Water Infrastructure" was shared for the first time on World Water Day at a briefing on Capitol Hill.
The analysis found there is an upside to investment, as well as a severe economic cost to inaction. At a national level, a one-day disruption in water service represents an aggregate daily loss of $43.5 billion in sales and $22.5 billion in GDP. For context
eight-day national disruption in water service would amount to a one percent loss in annual
--putting roughly 1.9 million jobs at risk. For every day of water service disruption, the average US business loses $230 in sales per employee. In industries most reliant on water, sales drop by up to 75 percent, or up to $5,800 per employee. Read the full report here.
The Value of Water Campaign In the News...
The World Water Day release of the Value of Water Campaign's report, "
The Economic Opportunity of Investing in Water Infrastructure,
" was covered widely in press outlets around the country. Value of Water Campaign Director Radhika Fox was interviewed by
24/7 News Network
, Sirium XM's
The Morning Briefing With Tim Farley
, and other radio stations nationwide. In print, the
Public News Source
covered the report, while Senators Barrasso (R-Wyoming); Inhofe (R-Oklahoma); Cardin (D-Maryland); and Carper (D-Delaware) signed an op-ed in
supporting increased federal funding for water infrastructure.
One Water Summit 2017 Early Bird Registration Ends April 7
June 27-29, 2017, water leaders from across the country will gather in New Orleans for a thought-provoking and action-oriented national summit on what it will take to secure a sustainable water future for all.
One Water Summit 2017
is a unique venue to craft innovative solutions, connect with influential leaders across the public, private, and nonprofit sectors, and forge the alliances needed to advance sustainable water solutions.
Time is running out for discounted registration!
for One Water Summit 2017 by April 7 before prices go up.
Join the Upcoming April Value of Water Campaign Webinar
Time to Build: How to participate in Infrastructure Week 2017
America's infrastructure--from roads and bridges, to water and wastewater systems, to the energy grid and more--is crumbling, inefficient, and inadequately designed to meet 21st century needs. It's also one of the rare issues that can bridge political parties, forge public/private partnerships, and catalyze leaders from the White House to state houses to city halls.
is a national week of education and advocacy that brings together leaders and citizens to highlight the state of our nation's infrastructure and encourage policy makers to invest in the projects, technologies, and policies necessary to make America competitive, prosperous, and safe.
Value of Water Campaign
for this webinar to learn how you can join more than 150 other affiliates across the country participating in Infrastructure Week from May 15-19, 2017.
Don't Miss the April One Water Webinar
Competitive Business and Industry and the One Water Paradigm
Patrick Schultz, General Manager - Performance Solutions, Veolia
Bryan Stubbs, Executive Director, Cleveland Water Alliance
Water challenges--whether it's too much, too little, or poor quality--threaten business growth, impact bottom lines, and create operational risks. Likewise, economic prosperity depends on a secure and sustainable water future. The private sector has valuable lessons to be learned on maximizing efficiencies and accelerating innovation that can translate well to the public sector. This webcast will feature representatives from Veolia and the Cleveland Water Alliance who will showcase how business is taking innovative steps to address water challenges.
This webinar is part of a six-part series featuring the recently-published
One Water Roadmap.
Upcoming One Water Events...
- Design-Build for Water/Wastewater Conference hosted by American Water Works Association, Water Design-Build Council, and Water Environment Federation March 29-31 in Minneapolis
- Ceres Annual Conference - April 26-27 in San Francisco
- California Water Environment Association Annual Conference - April 25-28, 2017 in Palm Springs
- Drinking Water Week hosted by American Water Works Association - May 7-13, 2017 in Washington DC
- River Rally 2017 hosted by The River Network - May 8-11, 2017 in Grand Rapids, MI
- Great Water Cities: Invest4Resilience hosted by Water Environment Federation - May 15-16, 2017 in New York, NY
- Infrastructure Week - May 15-19, 2017 in Washington DC and across the nation
- 11th IWA International Conference on Water Reclamation and Reuse hosted by International Water Association - July 23-27, 2017 in Long Beach, CA
In the News...
In our Blog...
- Putting a Price on the Value of Water by Danielle Mayorga, Value of Water Campaign | Read More
- Registration Opens for One Water Summit 2017 by US Water Alliance | Read More
- Thriving Cities by Jim Schlaman, Director of Water Resources, Black & Veatch | Read More