SBE voted on the following business items:
Presentations and discussions:
NEXT BOARD MEETING
- Executive Director Update: The Board heard from staff regarding business items and other topical updates, including initiation of our biennial WAC review, new private school work, and a highlight of recent partner activities.
- Committee and Other Updates: Board members discussed current SBE committee assignments and functions then focused on the Equity Committee and equity issues including equity-related professional development, next steps after the Board's equity summit, and revisions to SBE's Equity Statement.
- School Recognition: The Board engaged with staff, OSPI staff, and EOGOAC staff regarding an update on the school recognition workgroup's progress on establishing criteria for the recognition of state schools doing excellent work to support their students.
- 2019 STEM Report Card: The Board heard a presentation on the 2019 STEM Report. SBE successfully advocated for the inclusion of the recommendation around the development of a coherent STEM teacher preparation system (bullet #4 under Expand Career-Connected Learning Opportunities in STEM-related fields).
- Strategic Plan Update: The Board heard an update from staff on the timeline and progress of meeting the goals laid out in the 2019-2023 Strategic Plan.
- Joint Student Presentation: Student Board Members Autymn Wilde and Joe Hofman presented on the mental health of students in our schools and provided a proposal to encourage the creation of mental health action plans in districts across the state.
- Update on Graduation Rates: The Board heard an update from staff regarding the newly available data on the class of 2018 graduation rate. The "all students" group rate increased in comparison to the class of 2017's, and some student groups made substantial gains.
- High School Completion and Open Doors Update: The Board heard from OSPI's alternative learning staff, SBCTC's HS 21+ and Open Doors program, and SPSCC's Partnership Yelm HS 21+ program to hear more about the state's landscape for reengagement programming.
- Legislative Session Briefing: SBE staff as well as fellow Policy and Government Relations experts from some of our key partners briefed the Board on the status and potential fate of SBE's 2019 Legislative Platform issues and other key K-12 policy and funding legislative proposals now post the 3/13/19 chamber-of-origin cut-off.
May 8-9 at the
Confluence Technology Center in Wenatchee
Sign up for
from the State Board of Education on the topics that interest you.