Masjid Reopening Plan and Guidelines
Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,
DISCLAIMER: The panel of infectious disease experts who have been advising us throughout this process continue to advise caution and recommend that we avoid praying congregational prayers at the masjid and keep the masjids closed. There is NO discussion about reopening the masjids at this moment. However, we have decided to reopen the masjids considering the following reasons:
1- Memphis City officials are still opening the City of Memphis.
2- Some community members pressure.
3- Other places of worship like churches, synagogues, and other masjids has been reopened.
As guidelines, the panel have provided us with guidance and recommendations on how to reduce the risk to our community if we decided to reopen. Our religious leadership has also advised that you are not obligated to attend congregational prayers at the masjid and still highly encourage our community to continue to pray at home. Please take this into account before deciding to attend.
We have planned to REOPEN our beloved masjids in phases starting
Saturday, August 1st, 2020
. We will open ONLY for
Fajr at 5:00AM, Maghrib and Isha combined at 10 minutes after sunset, and Jummah prayers,
for this limited re-opening. Only
ONE Jummah prayer
will be held and performed outside if weather permits.
We will continue to monitor closely case numbers from Shelby County and the State of Tennessee and ask recommendation from local Infectious Disease experts and may consider delaying each phase or shutting down again. Our priority remains first and foremost safety for every member in our community. We have put together guidelines and it is mandatory for everyone to comply with the guidelines, and it will be strictly enforced.
Failure to comply will result in removal and potential closing of the masjid.
Please read the guidelines and recommendations below carefully. All community members are expected to abide by the following requirements in order to enter the building:
- If you feel sick and/or have flu-like symptoms, DO NOT COME and pray at home. Anyone with flu-like symptoms will be requested to leave.
- Wear your own face mask at all time during your stay in the masjid.
- Admission is first-come first-serve basis until the limited capacity is reached.
- Make wudu before you come to the masjid. Wudu areas and bathrooms at the masjid will be CLOSED.
- Maintain social distancing between each other at all times.
- Bring a regular-size prayer mat or rug. No sharing mat will be allowed.
- Bring a plastic bag for your shoes and keep it with you all the time.
- Use hand sanitizer before entering.
- Usable prayer spot will be marked. Each person is required to occupy an available spot. No switching spot will be allowed.
- After the prayer is completed, follow directions to exit the masjid.
- No socializing or gathering in or around the masjid before or after the prayer. Everyone is expected to leave immediately after prayer. Avoid handshakes and/or hugs.
- Non-prayer events (e.g. halaqas, quran programs, etc.) will be suspended until further notice.
- For Jummah prayer, there will be security guards at the entrance in order to ensure compliance and check body temperature.
- Jummah time for Masjid Ar-Rahman is 1:00PM ONLY, and 1:15PM for Masjid Al-Noor. It will start with a 10-minute khutbah and followed by prayer immediately.
- Strong recommendation for elderly (65+) and children under 13 year-old to pray at home.
- Please keep in mind that prayer for women in congregation at the masjid is not obligatory.
- If you have traveled in the past 14 days, please pray at home.
- If you have medical conditions, or a frontline healthcare worker seeing patients, please pray at home. May Allah reward you all.
- If you or someone you live with have come in contact with a positive COVID-19 person in the past 14 days, please pray at home.
We are excited to reopen the masjid with limited capacity and look forward to seeing the community again. Jazakum Allahu Khairan for your understanding and support. May Allah protect us all.
Acknowledgement of Risk
By attending, you acknowledge the following: I acknowledge the contagious nature of COVID-19 and voluntarily assume the risk that I may be exposed to or infected by COVID-19 by attending events at the Islamic Association of Greater Memphis' (IAGM) facilities, Masjid Al-Noor and/or Masjid Ar-Rahman, and that such exposure or infection may result in personal injury, illness, permanent disability, and death. I understand that the risk of becoming exposed to or infected by COVID-19 at Masjid Al-Noor and/or Masjid Ar-Rahman may result from the actions, omissions, or negligence of myself and others, including, but not limited to, IAGM employees, volunteers, and program participants and their families. I waive, release, absolve, and agree to hold harmless the Islamic Association of Greater Memphis and/or its employees, volunteers, program participants, and board members and their families from any claims that might arise from any risks and exposure of COVID-19.
Please reach out to your masjid leadership should you have any questions at email@example.com or 901-756-4794 ext. 1.
Islamic Association of Greater Memphis
Masjid Al-Noor & Ar-Rahman