MESSAGE FROM THE CEO AND ADMINISTRATOR
In March of 1939, the Abraham and Laura Lisner Home was incorporated in DC to serve elder women who would otherwise have struggled to provide and care for themselves. Over these many years, the Home has become a hallmark of senior care here in our city. 2019 marks our 80th anniversary and our mission to care for low and modest income seniors of Washington, DC. On May 23rd, we will host our annual garden party, commemorating this signature event in the Home's long history. We are also excited to announce that May 23rd has been proclaimed "Lisner-Louise-Dickson-Hurt Home Day" in Washington, DC, by Mayor Muriel Bowser. This newsletter is devoted to giving you, our loyal supporters, all of the details so that you can be as informed as possible about the evening's offerings. Please plan to join us and share in this very special celebratory event!
Ward and Sue
ESSENTIAL THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT OUR CELEBRATION
- May 23, 2019 at the Home located at 5425 Western Ave., NW from 6:30pm to 10:00pm
- Parking at the Chevy Chase Shopping Center across from the Home
- Laura Lisner 2019 Awardee Former Mayor and Ward 7 Councilmember Vincent C. Gray
- Entertainment courtesy of "The Chuck Brown Band"
- Resident art show and sale and silent auction
- Purchase tickets and register for silent auction mobile bidding at https://bidpal.net/lldhh80
SILENT AUCTION AND MOBILE BIDDING
This year, we are using a quick and easy mobile bidding system for our silent auction. There is no need for you to monitor paper bid sheets or interrupt your evening to check on your silent auction items. And, for those who do not have a smart phone, we will have staff available at the auction to assist you in entering bids.
- You are encouraged to purchase your tickets via https://bidpal.net/lldhh80 and you will automatically be registered to participate in mobile silent auction bidding - it is just that simple
- If you do not obtain your ticket via the on-line link, please be certain you register your credit card/debit card at the reception desk the evening of the event so you may participate in the mobile bidding
- You will also have the option of paying by check or cash
- For more detailed information on how the bidding works, please use the above link and check out "How to BidPal" on the left hand side of the page
- PLEASE check our event site frequently at https://bidpal.net/lldhh80 as we will be updating information and providing more details on our auction offerings
A Sampling of Silent Auction Offerings
"Game of Thrones" is the most popular show in the world and the final season will conclude this May. Take a 7-day tour into the very heart of the Seven Kingdoms landscape. Stand on the spot where the Lannisters schemed, stroll in the footsteps of the Starks, and gaze on the grasslands crossed by the Dothraki horde. Experience the "Game of Thrones Journey" trip offering. This includes a 6-night stay in Dublin, Antrim Coast, Belfast and Historic Castles, Guinness VIP tickets, and rental car for 2 (no airfare).
For those of you who are Bruce Springsteen fans, this is an incredibly rare item with only 50 in the world - a signed record album cover by members of the band: Bruce Springsteen, Garry Tallent, Roy Bittan, Mex Weinberg, Steven Van Sandt, Niles Lofgren and Patti Scialfa. Springsteen drew a sketch of a guitar with music notes and hand wrote out the song lyric inscription "Born in the USA" next to his name. Within the frame are also the vinyl record, an unused replica concert ticket from the "Born in the USA" tour dated Friday, September 27, 1985, and two official 1985 Born in the USA Cover Tour Books from both the USA tour and European tour. You have to see it to believe it!
The "Thrilla in Manila" is remembered as the greatest fight of all time. The boxing match was the third and final boxing match between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier. The match was held in 1975 for the heavyweight championship of the world at the Philippine Coliseum in Cubao, Quezon City, Philippines. Signed by Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier and artist LeRoy Neiman.
Visit the Resident Art Gallery to view and purchase some amazing pieces painted by the residents of the Home
"Moonlight Sunset" by Raymond Kimbrough
THANK YOU TO OUR 80TH ANNIVERSARY
The John Dickson Home
The Henry and Annie Hurt Home for the Blind
The Elizabeth R. Shoemaker Home
Hamilton Insurance Agency
Matthew and Joanne Tobriner
Allied Pharmaceutical Services, Inc.
Bank of America
Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
Hertzbach & Company, P.A.
Hysong Funeral Home
LINK Strategic Partners
Medline Industries, Inc.
Somerset Development Company, LLC.
Bollinger Energy Corporation
Brightstar Communications, Inc.
The Family Council of the LLDH Home
Matthew and Lena Frumin
Jeremy and Suzanne Landsman/Avenue Real Estate
Carole B. Lewis,
DPT, GCS, GTC, MPA, PhD, PSOAE, FAPTA,
Joel and Carolyn Nazdin
New Community Partners
L. Ward Orem
David and Connie Povich
The Resident Council of the LLDH Home
Marta Anne Schneider, MD
Bay City Pest Management, Inc.
Blauch and Associates, LLC
Cooper & Crickman, PLLC
Scott and Sue Hargreaves
Jackson & Campbell, P.C.
HPSI Purchasing Services, LLC
Radiation Physics, Inc.
Regional Construction Company, Inc.
The Washington (DC) Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
FY 2019 GRANTS
DC Commission on the Arts
S. Kann Sons Company Foundation
The Elizabeth R. Shoemaker
The Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation
f your workplace has a giving program, please consider supporting the Home.
Your pre-tax deduction will make a huge difference to the residents.
LLDHH designation numbers are:
United Way #8007