Monday, May 28
Tuesday, May 29
- Survey Day - Special Schedule here
Tuesday, May 29 - Friday, June 1
Wednesday, May 30
- Volunteer Awards Luncheon, 11:30 a.m., PAC
- Chorus/Jazz/Lab Bands Spring Concert, 7:00 - 8:00 p.m., PAC
Wednesday, May 30 - Thursday May 31
- Last Block Days, Dismissal Remains at 2:30
- TIDE Academy Information Night, 6:00 p.m., PAC
- Lunchmaster Grab n' Go, Order Online in Advance
- School Board Meeting, 6:00 p.m., TERC, 181 Encinal Avenue, Atherton
Wednesday, June 6
Tuesday, June 12
- Final Meeting of the Service Team - Relay for Life, lunchtime, PAC
- Lost & Found, Last Day to Pick Up, Student Center
- School Board Meeting, 6:00 p.m., TERC, 181 Encinal Ave, Atherton
Friday, June 15
- Hawkapalooza, 9:25 - 11:45 a.m., Hillview Campus
- Last Day of School, Early Dismissal 11:45 a.m.
- 8th-Grade Graduation, 5:00 - 6:30 p.m., Quad (gates open 3:30 p.m.)
- 8th-Grade Grad Night Party, 7:00 - 10:00 p.m., Gym
End of Year Independent Study Plans
For students who leave before the final day of school, an independent study plan is an option that allows students to complete all assignments and assessments. If your student will be missing three or more days at the end of the school year, they may complete an ISP. However, note that the work, including assessments, must be completed before the student departs. Completed ISPs are due Friday, June 15. More details here.
Tuesday, May 29, our students will be taking school climate surveys.
- 6th grade students will be taking Search Institute - Me and My World survey. Permission slips here are needed to participate. Last chance to return a permission slip is Tuesday morning! Return a signed copy to the office or email a signed copy to Monica here.
- 7th grade students will be taking the California Health Kids Survey. All 7th grade students will take this unless a signed opt-out form is returned.
- 8th grade students will be taking Search Institute - Attitudes and Behaviors survey. Permission slips here are needed to participate. Last chance to return a permission slip is Tuesday morning! Return a signed copy to the office or email a signed copy to Monica here.
Friday, June 15, 8:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. (volunteer hours.)
The event we've been all waiting for......HAWKAPALOOZA!!!! Finally!
What better way to kick-off the summer than this FUN-filled day p
lanned by the leadership students with Mr. Darmanin?
Curious? Check out the sign-up sheet
to see all the different stations.
Queries? Contact Alice
2018 Hillview Grad-Night News
Friday, June 15, our 8th-grade students will be celebrating the end of middle school! It is a Hillview tradition that the 8th-grade parents plan and fund a party immediately following the formal graduation commencement ceremony. It is a special evening, one last chance to spend time with Hillview friends before moving on to high school. The evening includes dancing, food, and fun entertainment. All grad-night questions are welcome - email Rina here.
- Grad-Night Funds Still Needed Thank you all for your generosity and support so far, but we are still $1500 shy of our goal. If you have not given yet or if you would like to help a little more, visit here.
- Calling All Parents - Volunteer to Help with Grad Night! 8th-grade parents, come help make the gym sparkle. It will be a wonderful time to be with friends as we transform the gym into something awesome. Sign up here today!
- 6th- and 7th-Grade Parents Come and join as chaperones, pre-party and post-party support. These are a fun jobs and will give you a chance to see how grad night works. You may get some ideas for your future 8th-grade student celebration. Pay it forward each year for the 8th-grade parents. (We were the chaperones and party support for previous years' graduates.) Sign up here!
- Beg, Borrow, Steal! We are hoping to borrow items for the event. Check out the list here and see if you can support us . Party set-up begins June 12, 5:00 p.m., but if more convenient, you can leave items earlier. All items can be picked up Friday after the event or Saturday morning.
TIDE Academy Information Night
June 4, at 6:00 p.m., Hillview PAC. Seventh-Grade Parents and Students - If your student is interested in a small school with innovative teaching and the benefits of being part of an established high-school district, come to our presentation. Technology Innovation Design and Engineering (TIDE) Academy is a new STEM-focused small school opening in the Sequoia Union High School District. TIDE Academy will open its doors to its founding class of 9th-grade students in August 2019.
Lost & Found
Tuesday, June 12 is the last day to pick up any items at Lost & Found, located in the student center. ALL items will be donated on Wednesday, June 13.
Teacher and Staff Year-End Gifts
Hillview has a tradition of giving to the staff as a community. Parents are encouraged to contribute to a centralized Teacher and Staff Gift Fund (organized by PTO volunteers) and all proceeds are used to buy gift cards for the entire Hillview team. The benefits of this approach are that
staff choose something they like and
all 80 plus Hillview employees are recognized. The
Gift Fund is used to recognize all academy teachers, elective teachers, specialists, custodians, and staff.
Gift cards are delivered the last week of school on behalf of the entire Hillview community. Questions contact Molly Gibbons here. There
are several ways to participate:
- Use PayPal here or here
- Leave cash at the Hillview Office in an envelope labeled Molly Gibbons
- Leave a check (made out to Molly Gibbons) in the Hillview office
- Mail to Molly Gibbons, 115 Pineview Lane, Menlo Park, CA 94025
Lunchmaster Grab n' Go
Tuesday, June 5 will be our next Grab n' Go. You will order Grab n' Go online just like you normally order your hot lunch. Remember Grab n' Go is our fabulous new menu choice. It is first-come first-serve, but you will receive a choice if you order online in advance. No need to bring the student card this time.
Hillview Academy Support Program
We are looking for parent volunteers for the Hillview Academy Support Program for the 2018-19 school year! Sign up to be part of the Academy Support Team - a group of parents who help with academy activities and events, or volunteer as the Academy Lead Parent - middle-school version of a room parent, but not as many events and less work. Starts in late August, learn more here.
For questions contact Gina
Important School Board Meeting Coming Up - Your Input is Invited
CA school districts are required to adopt a Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP.) The LCAP is a three-year plan that describes the goals, actions, services, and expenditures to support positive student outcomes that address state and local priorities. Learn more about LCAP here.
June 5, School Board Meeting Agenda:
Assistant Superintendent Jammie Behrendt will present our LCAP report to the School Board. This is the detailed story of our own goals - curriculum, achievement, language development, wellness, and parent engagement - and how we have worked to meet the goals this year.
The Board will recognize and celebrate MPCSD Staff who are retiring, have achieved tenure, have become nationally board certified, and who are marking 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 year anniversaries with the district.
June 12, School Board Meeting Agenda:
- The Board will vote on approving the LCAP report and adopting the proposed budget, as discussed at the June 5 meeting.
June 5 and 12 meetings, 6:00 p.m., TERC Board Room, 181 Encinal Ave, Atherton. The public is welcome to attend, provide comment, and join us in congratulating our wonderful staff.
Early Learning Center Preschool Openings
MPCSD has openings in full-day and afternoon classes for children born between September 1, 2013 and December 1, 2015. The mission of the ELC is to nurture young children's curiosity, sense of wonder, belonging, and deep engagement with the world around them, preparing them to develop the critical skills needed to enter kindergarten and reach their full potential. For more information, visit here or contact Jessica here or 321-7140 ext. 8900.
Programs & Activities
Hillview Service Team
Relay for Life Raises Over $93,000 for American Cancer Society
The phenomenal fundraising efforts of our students and the Relay for Life event got some press coverage this week! Take a read of the InMenlo article here. Donations have continued to roll in and the total now raised by our Hillview community is over $93,000. All will go to the American Cancer Society for research and services. A big thank you to all those involved!
Thank you to the 125 student athletes, coaches, coordinators, M-A High School administrators, and parent volunteers for their efforts. It was another fun and successful season together with La Entrada, Woodside Elementary, Corte Madera, Upper Laurel, Encinal, and Oak Knoll.
Harry Bell, "As this is my final year as the Hillview athletic director, we are thrilled to introduce Huck Hunt. Huck, a Hillview staff member and long time after-school sports coach, will be the new athletic director. We know the program will be in good hands. It has been an honor representing Hillview School for eighteen years as Athletic Director. There are so many people to thank for making our program so strong - PTO members, coaches, fellow athletic directors, league directors, officials, administration, staff, parent volunteers, high school and non-parent coaches, and, of course, all the players."
Huck Hunt, "Hello and a big welcome to all Hillview Families. My name is Huck Hunt and I will be the new Athletic Director for Hillview PTO sponsored after-school sports for the 2018-2019 school year. I am looking forward to working with you and to continue to offer your students successful sports programs."
After-School Sports 2018-19
Information about PTO sponsored after-school sports registration, practices, and game schedules will be available in the Hillview newsletter. Parent coaches are vital to the success of our after-school sports programs. If you would like to coach email here for more details.
- Girls volleyball registration opens August 23 here. There will be a mandatory team-placement workout for team selection that will take place on September 5 after school.
- Flag football registration also opens August 23 here. We anticipate at high turn out so register early. First practice is September 4.
For questions or if you would like to volunteer, email
Our Community Rocks!
We want to thank our fabulous MPCSD Community for making Schoolhouse Rocks Run and Festival sponsored by Nelson Roberts such a smashing success! A record-breaking 1,700 registered runners took to the streets of Menlo Park in support of quality education. After the race, they celebrated at the festival where a wonderful time was had by all!
Thank you to our Rockin' race and festival volunteers and course monitors! We couldn't have rocked without you!
Special thanks goes to:
Nelson Roberts Investment Partners here
Mario and the rest of the Hillview maintenance team
Krista Skehan and Personify
Carrie, Chen, Carolyn Lynch and Kim Drury
Our In-Kind Donors:
Safeway (Menlo Park and Sharon Heights)
Draeger's (Menlo Park)
Willows Market (Menlo Park)
Costco (Redwood City)
Menlo Park Jazzercise
Delucchi's Market (Menlo Park)
Fleet Feet Sports (Menlo Park)
For a video of the amazing morning, visit
And to the mascots of Encinal, Laurel, Oak Knoll and Hillview.
Sip, Stroll and Support our Schools!
Saturday, June 2, 2:00 - 5:30 p.m., Santa Cruz Mountains Wineries are coming to downtown Menlo Park! Purchase your advance tickets here for the event and taste a unique selection of Santa Cruz wines from local boutique wineries.
Tastings will be available at participating shops all along Santa Cruz Ave. Enjoy a fun, sunny afternoon with your friends and family while wine tasting, strolling, and shopping! Bottles will be available for purchase in Fremont Park across from Peet's Coffee. Advance tickets are only $49 here, tickets at the door are $55. All proceeds benefit Encinal, Laurel, Oak Knoll, and Hillview Schools.
Summer has arrived...are you ready?
Stock up on swim gear, camp supplies, travel goods and more at any of these great retailers: Target, Old Navy, Amazon, Macy's. Visit here www.mpaef.org/shop-list to see our full list of 82 partners. Must click through here to earn up to 8% of your purchase cash back to Menlo Park schools!
SMC Earthquakes - Soccer Tryouts The San Mateo County Football Club (an affiliate of the San Jose Earthquakes and a County Program supported by the Sheriff's Activity League) crosses geographic boundaries and has teams throughout the Peninsula from Millbrae to South San Mateo County. SMC provides a high-level club experience with professional coaches; it is an affordable program providing a rounded athletic experience to anyone that expresses the desire to play. Here is tryout information.
M-A Freshman Football Would you like to be a Menlo-Atherton Bear freshman football player? This is a "freshman only" team and no experience required. Visit our website here to sign up and get our summer schedule. Feel free to contact our Athletic Directors, Paul Snow here or Steven Kryger here with any questions.
Sign Up for AYSO Boys and girls born between January 1, 2000 and January 31, 2014 are invited to play soccer this fall. Parents can go here to complete the first step of registration and sign up to volunteer. Registration fees are $150 ($100 kinderleague). After May 31, players will be put on wait list and pay fees of $200/$150 kinderleague if placed on a team. Scholarships are available.
Newton Summer Camp This summer, join Newton at Laurel Elementary School for fun under the sun! The program blends academics and fun with days focusing on subjects such as Science, Art, and Engineering, while also incorporating weekly Water Days, Karaoke-Just Dance Parties, and CampCations (field trips). Register here. For additional information, email here.
Stanford Men's Basketball Camp for 1st- through 7th-grade students is designed to provide a safe, fun, and instructional environment for campers from the Bay Area and beyond. We emphasize the importance of Education, Lifetime Skills, Fundamental and Basketball Skill Development, and Individual and Team Competition. More information
All Students Matter Classroom Volunteers Needed Next Year
Schools in eastern Menlo Park and East Palo Alto are looking for volunteers to work with students in grades K-5. You'll go to the same classroom once a week, for about an hour, to help with reading or math. All Students Matter
provides training and coordinates everything. Sign up now to begin volunteering in September! For more details, email Keri Tully
his newsletter is published by Hillview School parent volunteers every Sunday of the school year, except for Sundays preceding a full week of vacation.
: The deadline to submit for the Sunday Hillview Newsletter is
Wednesday at noon
. Email your submission to
. Note that submissions may be edited for content and/or length. Submissions received after the deadline will be eligible for inclusion the following week. Submissions are eligible to run for up to two weeks.
Submissions for Off-Campus Community Event:
mail your announcement to
. The submission deadline is
Wednesday at noon.