For the 2015-2016 academic year, Self-Help Enterprises has awarded $6,500 in scholarships to nine local students.
The Doris "Do" Dooley Scholarship, named after Self-Help Enterprises' former Board member, was established to help the children of families who have participated in one of our programs.
The awards went to:
- Arturo Corona: Arturo lives with his mother and siblings in a home they built in Lindsay. He has a 3.8 GPA and has been accepted to UC Berkeley.
- Guadalupe Carrillo: Guadalupe's farmworker parents built their home in Reedley. She has passed the tests for seven AP courses and will be attending Fresno State.
- Miguel Flores: Miguel and his family live in the Casitas del Sol multifamily rental community. He attends Livingston High School where he excels at multiple sports. Miguel has applied to UC Berkeley where he wants to study solar engineering.
- Andrea Lopez: Andrea lives in a home built by her parents in Dos Palos. She maintains a 4.0 GPA and has been accepted to Fresno State where she will study criminology.
- Marylee Herrejon: Marylee's family built their home in Reedley. She came to the U.S. with her family when she was five. Marylee has been accepted to Fresno State where she plans to be a teacher so she may impact the lives of migrant children.
- Sequoia Jordan: Sequoia and her brother live in a home purchased by their single mother through the Homebuyer Assistance Program in Chowchilla. She was a five-sport athlete at Chowchilla high while maintaining a 4.0 GPA. She has been accepted to Fresno Pacific University.
- Estephania Manzo: Estephania and her family live in the Almond Court multifamily rental community. She is in her second year at CSU Bakersfield and is on her way to becoming a social worker.
- Jeny Reyes: Jeny is the daughter of a single mother who built their home in Goshen. She has been involved in on campus clubs and has registered at College of the Sequoias to become a nurse.
- Natyeli Yepes: Natyeli is the daughter of farmworker parents who built their own home in Reedley. She is attending Reedley College and plans to transfer to UC Davis to pursue a degree in neurobiology.
Since 1997, Self-Help Enterprises has awarded 101 scholarships totaling $85,750 to deserving students.