Key Areas of Investment: Infrastructure
The second key area of investment in the 2021 Recommended Budget will be vital infrastructure, capital projects, and equipment purchases.
“Recovering from a pandemic and growing our City in the right and responsible ways means investing from the ground up,” said Mayor Noble. “We will be designing, progressing and completing several crucial infrastructure projects next year and will be investing in our workforce with the tools and equipment they need to get the job done right. My budget proposes equipping our police department with a new interview camera system, our Waste Water Treatment Plant with new flow-recording equipment, and our Department of Public Works with a street sweeper, a packer truck and more. All of these important purchases keep our City safe, clean, and healthy.”
The following capital projects will be priorities in 2021:
- Broadway Streetscape Project to be completed in 2021
- Broadway/Grand Street Intersection Re-alignment Project
- Extensive sewer and stormwater system repairs in Midtown Kingston
- Hasbrouck Combined Sewer Overflow reduction work downtown
- Wilbur Avenue paving and continued paving of residential streets
- Sidewalk construction on Henry Street
- Elmendorf Bridge design and repair
- Dietz Stadium facility improvements
- Midtown parking lot improvements
Some of the major equipment investments include: hybrid electric vehicles for the Police and Building Safety Departments, KPD dispatch and interview technology upgrades, Wastewater Treatment Plant equipment and dump trailer, and Public Works vehicles totaling $990,000 (automated refuse packer,
street sweeper, flatbed service truck, dump truck with plow and sander, and a dump truck 6-wheel with plow and sander).