1 Saxon Drive
Alfred, NY 14802
ABOUT ALFRED UNIVERSITY
Since its founding in 1836, Alfred University evolved into a comprehensive institution offering a full range of programs in the liberal arts and sciences, art and design, engineering, business, education, counseling, and school psychology for our undergraduate and graduate students who live, learn, compete and play on a 232-acre campus located in an idyllic, creative valley in Western New York. Today, Alfred University focuses on a professional education with an emphasis on APEX (applied and experiential learning program).
Alfred University is the second oldest coeducational college in the United States as well as one of the earliest nineteenth century colleges to have enrolled African American and Native American students. It has a long-standing history of educating socially conscious students who make a difference in their professions and their communities.
Alfred University Saxons compete on 23 varsity teams including 16 NCAA Division III sports, one USCSA (United States Collegiate Ski and Snowboard Association) sport, one NCA (National Cheerleading Association), two IHSA (Intercollegiate Horse Show Association) sports and one IDA (Intercollegiate Dressage Association) sport.
In addition to varsity sports, there are club sports, including men's rugby and ultimate Frisbee; and intramural sports such as soccer, basketball and handball. Visit the official athletics site.
About 1,600 undergraduates and nearly 150 graduate students from 43 states and 16 countries attend full-time on the Alfred campus. AU has approximately 90 additional part-time graduate students on the Alfred, NY campus, and 475 graduate students enrolled in its AUNY NYC-metro area programs.
We offer 47 undergraduate majors and 65 minors offering internships, research and study abroad opportunities in the following schools and colleges:
• College of Business
• College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
• Inamori School of Engineering
• School of Art and Design
• School of Graduate & Continuing Studies
• Performing Arts Division
• The NYS College of Ceramics
Diversity and Inclusion
Alfred University is committed to creating and sustaining a diverse, inclusive and welcoming environment for all university community members, including students, staff, faculty and alumni.
• MSCHE: Middle States Commission on Higher Education
• NYSED: New York State Board of Regents, and the Commissioner of Education
• ABET: Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology (Programs in Ceramic Engineering, Glass Engineering Science, Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Renewable Energy Engineering)
• CAATE: Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
• NASAD: National Association of Schools of Art and Design, Commission on Accreditation
• ACS: American Chemical Society
• AACSB: Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
• APA: American Psychological Association, Commission on Accreditation
• NASP: National Association of School Psychologists
• CACREP: Commission on Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs