Small Business saturday
NOVEMBER 24, 2018
SHOP SMALL IN THE HEART OF IT ALL
For communities to thrive, their small businesses need to thrive.
That's the idea behind Small Business Saturday. And the idea has caught on!
"Small Business Saturday connects people to local businesses in ways that foster Boise's sense of place. It's one of our favorite days of the year," said Laura DeLany of Rediscovered Books.
Mayor Bieter will sign a proclamation declaring Saturday, November 24, 2018 as Small Business Saturday in the City of Boise!
What: Small Business Saturday Proclamation
Where: Rediscovered Books, 8th & Idaho, downtown Boise
When: 10:00am, Tuesday, November 20, 2018
Mayor David Bieter, Laura and Bruce Delaney of Rediscovered Books, and representatives from local small business development organizations can speak to the importance of small business in our community.
"Small business owners are not only the backbone of our local economy, they also help give Boise's downtown and neighborhoods their unique character, vibrancy and flavor," said Boise Mayor David Bieter. "Small Business Saturday is a great way for Boiseans to support their favorite locally-owned shops, restaurants and businesses and invest in our great community."
Downtown Boise is Idaho's largest concentration of small, independent businesses.
About Small Business Saturday last year,
- 43% of adults, or an estimated 108 million consumers reported shopping or dining at local independently-owned businesses, generating roughly $12 billion in reported spending.
- 70% of U.S consumers are aware of Small Business Saturday, and in addition to support on Main Streets, shoppers turned out for online small businesses - with 35% reporting that they Shopped Small® online on November 25th alone.
- 90% of consumers surveyed said Small Business Saturday has had a positive impact on their community.
- 73% of consumers who reportedly Shopped Small at independently-owned retailers and restaurants on Small Business Saturday did so with friends or family.
- Shoppers made Small Business Saturday an all-day affair, as 58% of those who participated in the day reported shopping or dining at more than one small, independently-owned retailer or restaurant on Small Business Saturday this year.
- On a national level, nearly half (48%) of consumers who participated in Small Business Saturday reported visiting a small business that they had not previously been to on Small Business Saturday.
Dine Well, Shop Unique, Be Downtown Boise for Small Business Saturday, November 24
Dozens of businesses in every district of Boise's Downtown take part in Small Business Saturday. Many offer guests festive, exclusive promotions and events designed to make the experience a special one for every member of the family.
Stamped Passport - Win a Downtown Boise Gift Card!
The Downtown Boise Association is offering six $50 Downtown Boise gift cards to lucky shoppers. Winners will be chosen among those who turn in their Small Business Saturday Downtown Boise Passport complete with stamps from participating merchants.
Pick up the Passport, collect the number of stamps from downtown merchants, then return the passport at Rediscovered Books at 8th & Idaho Streets. Go to downtownboise.org for a list of participating merchants. Downtown Boise gift cards are good at more than 300 merchants!
Community Support Makes it Happen
The Downtown Boise Association is registered with American Express as a Neighborhood Champion. As Shop Small Business Saturday enters its 9th year, the DBA is honored to work with partners equally dedicated to supporting small business including the Boise Farmers Market, Buy Idaho, the Capital City Public Market, the Small Business Administration, Rediscovered Books and Idaho's Small Business Development Center.
Experience, Enjoy, Be Something Special - Be Downtown Boise
*data from the 2017 Small Business Saturday Consumer Insights Survey, released today by the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) and American Express (NYSE:AXP)Boise Metro Chamber of Commerce to make the day a success.