All licensees are required to submit any advertisements - which includes but is not limited to, all business-to-business materials, strain sheets, social media, brochures, websites, and logos - for review and approval by the Medical Marijuana Control Program (MMCP). Licensees could be subject to enforcement action if advertising materials that have not been submitted for review are utilized.
Be sure to note that images of marijuana leaves and buds are prohibited by Ohio Administrative Code 3796:5-7-01(F)(6)(b).
For assistance in developing your business’s advertising submissions, please review the
If you have a website that is public and it has not been submitted for review, please do so immediately.
Distribution of merchandise is permitted under certain circumstances. However, distributing merchandise at events that could be associated with recreational marijuana is not permitted. Prohibited items include:
- Clothing, apparel, or wearable accessories
- Any item that could appeal to children - for example, footballs, yo-yos, Frisbees, etc.
- Any item that could be associated with recreational use of marijuana
- Any item that includes prohibited images like marijuana leaves or buds
All proposed advertisements, which includes merchandise, must be submitted to the MMCP for approval.
Generally, the use of social media is permitted but the same restrictions for traditional advertising apply to social media posts.
In the submission, licensees must include a screen shot that the social media account has enabled the restriction of users who are under the age of 18.
The use of social media by your licensed employees may be interpreted as advertising on behalf of the licensee and could therefore be subject to review. Examples of social media activity that could be interpreted as licensee activity:
- Promoting the company and/or specific products or strains
- Posting pictures of the facility, products, logos etc.
- Posting during work hours
- Encouraging followers to use the licensee’s product or attend licensee events
Advertising and Packaging/Labeling Resources: